Motivation

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
mr magoo

Motivation

Post by mr magoo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:47 am

Hi there :)

I have had the the program program for quite some time now, and initially I was working through it with a fairly good level of commitment. I was noticing improvement in panic attacks and also in my anxiety level. That being said, I fell off the wagon & quickly tumbled back into my level 10 p.a's and also wound up deep in depression. Instead of sticking to the program I've opted for computer games to occupy my time, since my social life is difficult to maintain; as I'm sure others following this program can relate to.

I've started to get myself geared up and back on track, but I guess what I'd like to know from others who are in the program is how have you kept yourself motivated? I've decided to go back to Lesson/Session One (I was up 5, hence posting here) so that I can refresh all of the skills that I was previously learning and using. It's really tough to get my motivation to even register on the radar...it's usually hovering around a -1 or 2.

I would really appreciate some suggestions or tricks...I mean who wouldn't want to shake this feeling?? So then why is it so hard for me to stick with the program?

Thanks y'all! :D

Purrrrme2U

Re: Motivation

Post by Purrrrme2U » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 pm

You took the word's right out of my mouth. I too, am back to video game's on FB and don't even know where to start again. Haven't even touched the box for 2mths. I too, thought I was on my way to a bright future. Then a friend asked me to help with his terminal mom, who I knew as a 2nd mom to me{as I haven't talked to mine in 2 yrs}. She died and I was there hands on, checking her pulse as she left this earth. When I came home, I felt down and lost. You don't know you have lost the program till time goes by and you see your in a rut, the same rut you were in before the program. Though I feel worse than when I started, or it just feels that way cause maybe I felt good doing it.
So any answer's you get...I will be watching. I though of calling the center and ask for help. Key word "Thought"! Also, laying in bed at night or whenever, I noticed I've gone back to thinking of my problems before I go to sleep. Not good when you end up having bad dreams about it. I feel worthless and sometime's ungrateful for the physical body God gave me and how I'm waisting it. Do you ever think that? You see your friends having family functions and trips and all you do is sit at home and observe life. I tried Avon, thinking it would get me out of the house...big mistake. I have spent my savings on a hope that never came. So I thought I could make it an e-business. I have over 1,000 friends on FB and still can't get success as an e-business.{a few sells over the last year}
Anyway, I hope people answer this, because though I'm not having panic attacks{though want to cry a lot}, I'm not living either.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat May 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Gosh, I'm feeling the pain you guys are talking about. Purr...so sorry about losing your second Mom...that is very difficult and you are grieving.
I too, need to get out of the depression I'm feeling as well. I do have reasons for it, but also just feel the same way, that having this body which is wonderful is not fun when we don't feel good in it.

I'm on the computer as well, checking on FB and etc. I have a lonely household and do better when I'm out with other people that are friendly and outgoing. My house has been hijacked by my youngest child who just turned 20 and he has been showing some disrespect. So I'm working on a fine line of self-control on my part and yet just ready to explode! Long story, but I wait...as I figure things out and talk with my therapist, which I need to make an appointment to see next week. So hang in there you two...I do know for a fact that eating foods such as eggs, tuna, chicken, and beef help to feel better and exercise as simple as easy walking does help.

It is the simple discipline of getting ourselves to the kitchen or outdoors to remedy part of our symptoms of anxiety or depression. Have a good day and I hope things get better for you both. Paislee :mrgreen:

livelife

Post by livelife » Sun May 15, 2011 1:10 pm

what has helped me stay motivated is how i'm going to feel after, when i feel like not listening to the audio CD's etc. I think to myself and wonder how i will feel after the program i always tend to do that. like i give up for several hours and saY i'm not going to do it anymore but then i go back to doing it for the same reason. and walking once a day for atleast 30 mins. really DOES help! have you started exercising? maybe you are thinking too much about if your doing the program right or not?
thats how i was before but now i'm like "i wont worry about that, i'm doing it anyway. and it does not have to be absolutely perfect!" good luck!
YOU CAN DO IT!
God bless <3

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm

For me my motivation is recovery. I too think to how it will be to not have this anxiety. I want to feel better. That is all the motivation I need.

lorilou

Post by lorilou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm

My motivation comes and goes also. I think for me a big part of it is my tendency to want to do everything perfectly. Then I think about that being the main thing that got me started with panic attacks, anxiety, and depression. I have given my permission to do the program at my own pace as long as I continue to do it. I have a 4 year old and a new baby on the way in August so this is a necessity! :)

I think that the main thing that keeps me going is setting a good example for my children. As I go through the program I realize that I have been dealing with these issues since I was a child but did not understand what it was. I don't ever want my kids to experience this! I want to be able to give them the skills to deal with life. What a beautiful gift to give! At the beginning of May I had the worst panic attacks of my life and really thought I was dying. I was in and out of the ER and it really scared my 4 year old. He became really clingy and nervous. This was my wake up call to do something to get better.

I say hang in there and find your motivation. When I look at my little boy's face and feel his little brother's kicks it is more than enough to keep me going. I wish you much success. You can do it!

jkulag

Post by jkulag » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:27 am

I can relate somewhat to your lack of motivation although it has not affected my enthusiasm for working this program. All I can say that might be helpful is that I have come to realize for myself that if I wait to feel motivated to do something I know is in my best interest, whether it be eating well, exercizing, journaling, etc. etc., then I might never get around to it. I believe this is where some DISCIPLINE needs to kick in. I have noticed that I often feel excitement again AFTER I begin doing something, or while I'm doing it, not before. In other words, the excitement returns once I discipline myself to do it and I am in the process of doing it. If you wait until you feel like it, you may never get back on track. As the Nike commercial goes," JUST DO IT ", because you know it's good for you and because you love yourself enough to do what's good for you. Those initial feelings of excitement about working the program might not ever return to the same level of excitement, but they will be replaced by feelings of pride in yourself for doing something you know benefits you. And I think all of us can stand to feel better about ourselves. Keep at it and feel proud of yourself ! jkulag

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”