Bloating/Breathing

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
EricC

Bloating/Breathing

Post by EricC » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Recently I've had a nasty bout of bloating/indigestion, that has lasted for several days now. Amid the constant belching, I also feel like it's difficult to get a 'full' satisfying breath. The feeling is like my lower lungs can't expand all the way because my stomach/intestines are so bloated. It's like they're being crowded.

The big problem here, is that I can't employ the deep abdominal breathing techniques when my stomach is this bloated, because of crowding. It's like I have to engage in chest breathing, and this sends my anxiety through the roof. Because of this bloating, I have begun to have panic attacks again, and I have not had them for a long time.

This, is a reoccurring problem for me, I'll be fine for a few months, then suddenly this crap will come on again. I have recently been feeling anxious due to changes in my life, which possibly might be linked to my bloating. I know Lucinda talks about her IBS a lot, and how it is linked to anxiety. Still, it makes it far more difficult to calm down when I feel like this. Has anybody else experienced something like this?

Paisleegreen

Re: Bloating/Breathing

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I only felt this while taking a shower and felt that I couldn't get a deep breath due to the extra moisture in the air, although, I think I might have eaten something before and felt full. Paislee

EricC

Post by EricC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. I went to the doctor when my stomach symptoms intensified, and it turns out a stomach virus has been going around the area. Now my stomach is a lot better.

When I was having the feeling of not getting enough breathing, I took 0.125mg of Xanax, half of the minimum dose (I hate taking medication), and before I knew it I was breathing normally. The doctor also said that my heart and lungs sounded good, so, there was nothing wrong with me.

I think it was the uncomfortable feeling of breathing 'differently' because my lungs were crowded, due to gas and indigestion, that set my anxiety off and intensified the symptoms. I made a mountain out of a pebble.

Pete777

Post by Pete777 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:41 am

Right now this is my no 1 problem and is causing 99% of my anxiety and panic attacks!
It will go away and then return for what reason I don't know, I'm trying to hone in on what triggers the bloating and not being able to breath in enough or fulfill that top end of the breath. So far quality sleep or lack there of seems to make it better or far worse and I know food is playing a part as well. Ive just joined this forum and not into writing alot at the moment due to this problem!...mainly because it's at it's worst when I sit upright at the computer and it just makes it worse
So I've gotta make this quick. Cheers
Pete from Australia

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”