Any encouraging thoughts

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
KKross

Post by KKross » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm feeling a little frustrated and I wanted to see if anyone had any encouraging feedback.

Exercise has helped me tremendously with anxiety and depression. I havea trainer that I see three times a week with whom I do cardio/boxing. My goal is to use weights three other days of the week. The last two weeks I have only done one other day of weigth training. I have been feeling uber-stressed out from work and it has gotten me sick and run down. Today I really wanted to get to the gym, but I felt so run down I went home and did the relaxation tape and then fell asleep. I'm still feeling stressed and like a failure because I backed down and didn't go to the gym.
Work has been so stressful the last few weeks and I have been putting in a lot of extra hours(no extra pay). I know exercise will help me deal with the stress, but I feel so worn out it is hard to get to the gym. Then my mind starts acting up and I start thinking I'm getting out of shape, I'll never get back to the gym, etc. I know this is not the worst problem to have, but it is still frustrating. I have to practice self-talk more. It does help to vent here on this forum. If anyone has some encouraging words, I'd take them like rain in a desert. Thanks.

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi KKross, I think you should feel great that you've been so dedicated to adding exercise to your life. I too find it so helpful in dumping some of that negative energy.
I wish for your sake that you weren't putting in the extra hours at work with no pay; I know sometimes this happens but please make sure you're not giving more than you need to. I think the people pleaser in us makes us a little prone to put our employers ahead of ourselves. I've been there many times too. Do you think it's sort of making you feel taken advantage of? When I feel that way I get sort of stuck in a defeated state and get trapped in the cycle, and then yes, totally don't have the energy to put into things that are really important to me.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi KKross--Glad to hear from you...from a person that can over do it when under stress, I think you area perfectly okay to rest your body. :)
Be kind to yourself. You are not a failure because you made a good decision to rest and take it easy.

You are under a lot of pressure right now and not being paid for the extra hours. I think putting pressure on yourself to work as much as you haven is added to your stress.

There's exercise and then there is exercise! :eek: You are doing very strenuous exercise that your body needs to rest to rebuild the muscle tissue you have torn down through weight training and boxing.

You aren't doing easy walking for an hour a day to stay healthy and stress free and in shape You are doing exercise that will build muscle and train for competition, it sounds like.

So let your body rest right now while you are under this stressful situation. If you wear yourself out too much, you'll get sick and be of no use to yourself nor your job. Its cold in NY right now, and its the season when the flu bug strikes. Ugh.

Hang in there and keep posting. :) Paislee

KKross

Post by KKross » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks so much for responding! It really helps to get feedback.

The thing about my overtime is I am a teacher and the overtime is writing college recommendations and helping students with college application essays. So many students ask for my help, and I love all my students so I can't say no. "Saying no" is definitely something I have to work on. What makes me resentful is I found out another teacher is charging students $100. to help them with their essays. How this teacher gets away with this, I don't know. I wouldn't feel right charging my students. It doesn't seem ethical.

Thanks again for responding. It was a great thing to see first thing in the morning. I hope you both have a great day!

Grandpa Doggie

Post by Grandpa Doggie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:29 am

KKross, good morning. I agree with Paislee's recommendation for you to back off the strenuous exercise and allow your body a chance to recover with walking, you'll feel better. You are getting it right by not charging your students for your help, you will receive a much greater reward than $100, remain ethical! You will and are blessed for what you do. No comment on your overtime as it sounds voluntary.

God Bless, Grandpa Doggie

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 am

God Bless wonderful teachers like you! :) Do these recommendations have a deadline before Christmas?

I sure appreciate all the help my teachers gave to my children. Even now my young adult son's highschool teacher makes sure my son gets paid for the work he does for the school. Which involves Internet services. They were all at this school instrumental in making sure this son graduated from this high school at a time when he was just checked out due to losing his brother to suicide.

So they sat him down and told him we'll recommend that the school board keeps you at this specific type of school if he starts to show he wants to be there. So he did by going to summer school and night classes to retake courses he just plain didn't do the homework.

So he turned around and did well and maintained the high school's servers. He had an attitude, but thanks to his wonderful teachers and principal, he graduated with a Semester of college under his belt. So I'm really grateful for their help.

Just be sure to take care of yourself...your students wouldn't want you to be unhappy or stressed during this Holiday Season. Nor would we...:) Paislee

KKross

Post by KKross » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words. I didn't realize how much it would help to have this dialogue on here. It really makes me feel less alone in this.

Paislee, I am so glad to hear your son's success story. What an inspiration in light of what he's had to face.

Have a great day!

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”