caffeine addiction struggles

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Gale D

Post by Gale D » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Yes I suffer with terrible migraines and I do find drinking my Pepsi when I have a headache along with my prescription Esgic Plus I usually start to feel better. This med is an older drug for migraines and tension headache and it contains some caffeine as well.Since the newer migraine drugs don't work for me I have to rely on this med boosted by a Pepsi for relief. But I do try to limit my caffeine intake otherwise.

OCDEditor

Post by OCDEditor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm not on this session yet but I just need to vent and say that I am a coffee/Starbucks addict and I don't even want to quit.

Caffeine and sugar are my emotional crutch. They are all I have left to cope with my anxiety and they fill the void. Yes, I'm addicted. And totally not ready to quit.

I suppose I'm not ready because I'm still avoiding even doing this program. I bought it a year ago and have tried repeatedly but something in me won't let me do the program. Avoidance is my chief anxiety symptom/behavior.

Maybe once I do the program and take care of how I feel, I won't need to soothe myself with the coffee & sweets?

fixme

Post by fixme » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:15 pm

i stopped cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I miss it but then again I dont. Substitute green tea decaf

Nugget28

Post by Nugget28 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 am

After cutting back on coffee for some time. Today I went with my sister to a coffeehouse.
I got a large cffee( I know! what was I thinking!!)
After about an hour my heart started beading so fast that I just couldn't get it down with relaxation and positive thinking. I was so tense and I was trembling. I almost went into a full blown panic attack. After listening to the relaxation tape I calmed down a bit but my heart is still kinda beating fast.
Boy have I learned my lesson today. No more caffiene!

karmatism

Post by karmatism » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 am

Is anyone interested in making some kind of group goal to quit? I need serious help! My problem is that I DON'T WANT TO QUIT! I LOVE COFFEE! I always say my coffee in the morning and wine is the evening are the best parts of my day. How can I get myself to want to do it? Is anyone else struggling with this?

Nugget28

Post by Nugget28 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 am

Karmatism,

I will definatly join the group to help quit drinking coffee. I love coffee to! How many cups do you drink a day?
I used to drink about 3 cups and the next week I cut it down to 2 cups a day. The week after that I only drank a cup in the morning. The heartpalpitations scared me so much today that I'm just gonna go cold turkey.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:53 pm

I quit cold turkey about 2 months ago! You can do it to if your reason is big enough! I was sick and tired of the caffeine making me anxious and panicky, that was my motivation to quit! The pain of my panic attacks was greater than the pleasure that i got from caffeine! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

"SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO WHAT UNSUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE JUST NOT WILLING TO DO!"

Michelle Holly

Re: caffeine addiction struggles

Post by Michelle Holly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 am

This is still one of the toughest struggles for me at the moment. Caffeine is taking over my life. I don't want it to be that way. I have tried to quit so many times, but I usually go back because it is so hard for me to deal with withdrawal symptoms.
I could maybe try tapering, but I'm not sure what the best way for me to do that is. Right now, I don't even know how much caffeine I'm consuming per day and it's hard to keep track because everyday is different and I get my caffeine from all sources. (i.e. coffee, tea, energy drinks,...)
Also, I feel like I need it, especially in the morning, to get myself going. I especially crave it before exercising in the morning because I feel so tired without it. I am completely addicted and I need help.

anonymous27

Post by anonymous27 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:54 am

hi.

I need to go to a caffeine addicts anonymous meeting, but there are none in my area.

I can't seem to stop. I want to, but everytime I try I just get so overwhelmed with withdrawals symptoms: energy plummets, severe depression, extremely tired, major headaches, agitated, antisocial, no motivation to do anything, sleepy all the time.
I consume caffeine to avoid these withdrawal symptoms, but I know that it is very damaging to me. I hate feeling like I need it in order to function.

help!!!!

does anyone know of any descent online support groups for caffeine addicts?

I really want to quit so I can gain my natural energy back.

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:28 pm

I have always been a coffee lover and last year I decided to go with decaf. I started out fixing my coffee (12 cups) with 10 scoops regular and 2 scoops decaf ( 1 scoop is equal to 1 cup). After about two weeks, I made it with 8 scoops regular and 4 scoops decaf, then 2 weeks later half and half, etc. until it was all decaf. Never had a single day during this process that I had the jitters or any problem with switching. Just do it at your own pace, but don't switch to decaf all at once. You will have problems then.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”