caffeine addiction struggles

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Deborah Henry

Post by Deborah Henry » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Addictions have 2 components - the need for the drug and the habit of using the drug. I think the right idea is to eliminate the drug but not necessarily the habit. For example, I love coffee but the caffeine does not agree with me so I've decided to drink decaf coffee or green tea. I also love diet Coke, but I'm going to start buying the caffeine free version. I believe this will help me wean myself off the caffeine.

Debbie

Patty1954

Post by Patty1954 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:14 am

This will be my sixth day without afternoon coffee-usually a grande Americano. I am still waking up with the horrible headache before I want to get up. What really surprises me is how emotional I have been feeling. I really miss my afternoon boost because it made me happy. I guess that is why it is addictive.

NH Cat Lady

Post by NH Cat Lady » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:50 am

Thank you to everyone on this forum for keeping me from slipping. I had been doing the half caf/have decaf thing for several weeks and this week changed to all decaf. The past two mornings I've been able to drag my butt out of bed and exercise before I start my day, but not having any caffeine at all has been hard. I finished my few cups of decaf and thought I would go ahead and have a cup of real tea. As I sat here reading these posts, it hit me that I didn't want to slip so I poured out the black tea and am now sitting here waiting for my herb tea to steep.

In college, I was addicted to amphetamines. Really addicted. My excuse was that I was working three jobs and trying to go to school full time so I didn’t have time to sleep. Of course that’s crap and I was only hurting myself. I did quit cold turkey and went through hell in the process. Most importantly – I never went back to them.
Thank you to everyone who spoke to caffeine being a drug. It really is. Thank for the reminder that I can quit this too and not go back.

I have a deck of cards that was gifted to me several years ago while I was going through a very difficult time in my life called “I Can Do It” cards by Louis Hay. Each card is two sided with a positive phrase on it. I found them in a drawer over the weekend and decided to keep them at my desk for when I need a little positive boost. I started using them again how I used them before by closing my eyes and thinking a question while shuffling “What do I need to remember today? What will help me?” The card that I pulled for today says on one side (no kidding) “Water is my favorite beverage. I drink lots of water to cleanse my body and mind.” And on the other side: “I am the only person who has control over my eating habits. I can always resist something if I choose to.”

Next challenge – cookies and chocolate.

Thanks again everyone, I love having this support!

Deborah Henry

Post by Deborah Henry » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:35 pm

It has been hard for me as well. I have been drinking water, milk, caffeine-free diet soda, and herbal tea. No chocolate (I am having major withdrawl!). And I am watching the sugar like a hawk. I'm a little tired, but I'd rather be tired than anxious! I also have rationalized the whole thing this way - I do not need any more stimulation in my body than I already have! I miss the chocolate but I don't miss feeling anxious. It hasn't even been a week yet. I'll get over it and I'll be better for it.

Debbie

Joe B.

Post by Joe B. » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:13 pm

How long does the with drawl last?

I use energy drinks when I exercise or perform in public. It boosts my performance. Now, I feel like they are buring me out and my anxiety is really bad.

It makes me feel like superman but now I am a wreck.

What will happen and when will it end?

AMANDAJ

Post by AMANDAJ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 am

I cut down from 24 oz of diet pop to 8 oz and struggle to go without it each day, since it is everywhere. I do drink 60 to 100 oz of water a day since that is recommended. I gave up alcohol for the last three months even communion wine since I don't want it to affect the meds that I am on to help with the anxiety/ depression since it can double the effect of alcohol. As much as I have been terrified of my anxiety, I definitely want to reduce my anxiety in any way possible.

AmandaJ

Loverofdogs

Post by Loverofdogs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Joe B., I used to drink almost a full 2 liter bottle of Pepsi everyday. Today is day 4 without any Pepsi and I feel alot more energetic and positive than I have in a while. The first few days were rough though. I had bad headaches and felt muddleheaded all day. I did cut back for two weeks before quitting. I quit buying it to have at home and work and replaced it with water, vitamins, and some exercise. The only time I allowed myself Pepsi was when I went out. Everyone is different, but I think if you make a "quiting schedule" that you can live with maybe it wont be so awful. I hope this helps! D-

Spectro49

Post by Spectro49 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 am

I am on session 2 and as of now I will have to say that I am not going to give up chocolate or coke completely, I can and will cut back but not to have it at all, I don't know, we'll see! You gotta have chocolate once in awhile :?

momurph

Post by momurph » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 am

HELP!!

I wasn't able to read every post in their entirety because I was getting dizzy, but I get the gist that most people posting on this topic have quit, or are trying to quit, caffeine.

I need help! Any tips you can give me would be great, but I do know about not going cold turkey, and slowly adding decaf to my regular coffee, etc. I guess it's more emotional tips I need to help me be able to quit.

I'm not going to say that I "can't" quit, because I know I can if I want to quit badly enough. The problem is I am terrified of quitting it -- I have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, and two daughters, ages 4 and 8. Even with the caffeine I feel too tired to give them 100% attention, and of course that makes me feel guilty and depressed and irritable ... and that's just one of the reasons why I'm doing this program :-).

I drink coffee in the morning (about 2 cups), then switch to tea (for some reason the coffee doesn't "work" as well after those first 2 cups!). I drink tea throughout the day -- probably about 5-7 cups. I also take Adderall for ADD and for the fatigue. Adderall alone doesn't do a thing for the fatigue, and caffeine alone doesn't either -- it's the combination that helps.

I would so appreciate any tips on breaking the "emotional" component to this addiction!

I am on Lesson 8 now -- it seems to be moving too fast for me. I work with a personal coach and we talk once a week, but there are times when I would like more time to focus on a Lesson. I am taking an extra week this week, but I think I could use a month for each one!

Thanks for listening ...
Maureen

Spectro49

Post by Spectro49 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi momurph, there are so many post on this site, Wow I can't keep up. I am struggling with not having chocolate, I do drink decaf coffee in the morning which isn't that bad. I usually have a piece of chocolate everyday I don't know if I want to give that up, it's one of the things I look forward. this probably didn't help but right now I also am having a difficult time giving up some caffeine. Best of luck to you.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”