caffeine addiction struggles

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:12 am

I have been trying to quit caffeine for the longest time. It makes me feel worse. When I drink it, it makes me feel anxious, shaky and depressed. Yet, still I drink it, cause I don't know how to stop. This has been a real struggle for me for a while and I really want to stop having it. For me, caffeine addiction I think is similar to other addictions like to cigarettes or alcohol. When I stop drinking it, I feel extremely depressed and I feel like I HAVE to have it. It's really frustrating. I've been cutting down, but after about 1 or 2 days, I have a lot and I have to start back at square one.
I reach for it when I have no energy, when I'm feeling depressed, when I have to be somewhere like school or work.
This is driving me crazy. I'm not as self-disciplined as I would like to be. I need a lot of help. Anything! I want to feel better, but this addiction is taking over!
it's embarressing because I get so shaky that other people notice it and tell me that I'm shaking. I usually just say, "yeah, I get that sometimes"
I'm having a really hard time with this. what should I do? I want to stop. I so badly want to stop. I said I wouldn't have it today, and I had some caffeine this morning. What should I do?
- Michelle

timidgirl

Post by timidgirl » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:48 am

I have a caffeine addiction also that I know I need to deal with but havn't as of yet. As I watched the intro DVD and Lucenda said that about quiting caffeine, I thought surely not completely. I don't know if I can completely do without caffeine. I can't tell you what to do Michelle, but I'm in the same boat you are. I also get shaky and I know it's caffeine combined with anxiety, but I sure love my coffee.

Michelle, we just gotta do this. A warm cup of decaf can be good too.

Becky

PAgirl09

Post by PAgirl09 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:43 am

You feel like you have to have it because it's an addiction. The only way to get out is to stop and go through the withdrawal. You know the feelings you're having are from the caffeine withdrawal, they're uncomfortable, but they can't hurt you. Try cutting back each day, that can make it more bearable. Take it from someone who use to drink 1 to 1 1/2 pots of coffee per day. I was truly addicted, but I quit and only drink water now. I've been off coffe for about 8 yrs now. You will feel sooooo much better without that stuff. You'll feel worse before you feel better, but you can get there. I quit cold turkey and had horrible headaches and withdrawals, but I got past it and you can, too. If you do it little by little each day, it will be a bit easier. You can also do half decaf and half caffeine and quit that way, too.

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:31 am

I would like to stop having anymore as of right now. It will be tough 'cause I'm already experiencing caffeine withdrawal. feeling depressed, headaches, no energy, no motivation, anxiety.
PA girl, it helps to know that I will eventually feel so much better. I guess a few days of withdrawal won't mess up my entire life. I can function with out it. and I have to tell myself, "who cares if I'm not feeling good right now. this will pass and then I will feel so much better."
Just when I stopped having it for a few days, my therapist noticed that I seemed a lot more relaxed and calm than the last visit. I had not even told him that I went off of the caffeine.
self-discipline. that will be my word of the week. gotta take it one day at a time.
can you help me come up with ideas to distract myself from caving in?
some ideas that i have are:
do arts and crafts, collage, drawing,...
cook up a recipe. go shopping to buy ingredients.
go for a walk
come on to this forum
give someone a call

Becky, let's try to help each other out okay? I'd like to keep up this forum topic.
- michelle

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:46 am

Gosh! It hasn't been that long since I last wrote and already I am strongly craving caffeine. I am having a bit of a depressed day. I need to get out of my house, maybe go for a walk. I don't feel much like driving anywhere. Unless maybe it's really close by like the supermarket or something.
How can I distract myself?

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:37 am

Michelle,
Im not sure you are talking about coffee, or sodas.
First of all, dont just quit. If its coffee, then start with half coffe, half decaf coffee for a week or two. Slowly add more decaf and less real coffee, till you have completely gotten off the real coffee.
They have decaffinated sodas and teas.
Im a soda freak myself. Dr Pepper is mine. They make decaf dr pepper, so when i started, i would drink One Decaf dr pepper,, then later on a real one,,, then a decaf...
Take it slow,, you can quit caffiene,, I did!
Now when we go out and eat, if i order a real dr pepper, i can see how much it really did effect me.....
I try NOT to slip up, cause the real stuff really hyps me up!!! Wish you LUck!!! Nelly:)

Serenity66

Post by Serenity66 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:49 am

Coffee is my Kryptonite too! :-( I have a love/hate affair with it. I LOVE it, and it HATES me...and makes me suffer. I didn't always believe this though I must say.

I tried to do the program 20 years ago, yep...20 years ago. But, I didn't want to go without my coffee and I didn't have time for relaxation or exercise, but .. oh yeah, dedication to getting well was strong! LOL

Well, 20 years later, here I am. Still recovering. Except this time, I did kick the caffeine. My last coffee was at the beginning of October. I didn't even TRY to go cold turkey. I would have caved in for sure. I tapered off, gradually substituting decaf for caf .. until I was down to one small a day. I thought I'd be able to keep it at that but, .. I ditched the last cup and I've gotta tell ya, my body has NEVER been so calm. I've gone from a chronic 9/10 for anxiety down to a 5/10. It was amazing.

As much as I DO SO LOVE my coffee, I cannot deny that it recked HAVOC with my nervous system.

As much as it is tempting to go cold turkey, remember Caffeine IS a drug and like any other drug, you may (and often will) suffer needlessly unless you taper slowly.

Best of luck
Danielle

Karen M

Post by Karen M » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:18 pm

My demon is chocolate. I just don't know how to stop craving it, and I'm sure it is partially responsible for my mood swings as well as my anxiety. Any ideas?

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:59 am

Michelle:

It is possible to "get off" of coffee!! I did it many years ago because I realized just how addicted I was.

It was the first day of a new job (in the city) and, getting up really early for the commute, I didn't have time to get myself any coffee. Thinking that I'd have a chance to get some at work (surely this new office would have some...), I went to work without that morning.

As with all new jobs, the hours flew by me, with introductions, personnel paperwork, etc. and by lunchtime I started getting a nausiating headache. I made it throught the afternoon and don't know how I made it home driving with the pain and sick stomach. It was then that I realized that it was the lack of caffeine that was responsible!

After this major realization, I started with 1/2 cup decaf and 1/2 cup regular coffee and just kept putting less and less regular in the cup. Limited to one cup per day. It took me about 3 to 4 months to be able to go completely without coffee. Today, I will have decaf if we have company or go out to eat, but that's it!! I never want one of those headaches again!

You can do it...just the same as with the program, it takes time and commitment. The triumph is worth the effort!

Dana

timidgirl

Post by timidgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:04 am

This morning I got up and there is a layer of ice everywhere, it's so cold and all I can think of is a steaming cup of coffee. Well, at least I did make the 1/2 and 1/2 brand. But I had 3 cups, so I'm not doing so well. I want to feel calmer also I just need more self discipline. And reading everyone elses support.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”