caffeine addiction struggles

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
leajay983

Post by leajay983 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Me too! I was weaning myself off..then I had a really bad morning..really foggy and sluggish so I caved and had a cup...and whoa! I felt fantastic! Which led to another cup and bang! I'm back on the java again! I'm back to trying half-caf again..I went to decaf at one point but have yet to find one that tastes good!

However, I'm not gonna beat myself up about it...if I need to take it slow then that's just the way it's gonna be...at least I'm trying! :)

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:49 am

it's good that you are trying Leajay. I hope that we can get passed these addictions. I feel the depression and the fatigue, moodiness, sleepiness, everything when I try to come off of it, but then again, I also feel those things on a daily basis when I am on the caffeine. I'm sure that once I get past that beginning part of detoxing from caffeine that then I will feel a lot better. It's just that first part. It's so hard!!!

littlesarahsmiles

Post by littlesarahsmiles » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:14 pm

I was addicted to a pot of coffee every morning. I have depression and anxiety, and take cymbalta. I would make a pot and then walk the kids to school, knowing that when I got home, I could enjoy 3 large cups w/ tons of milk and some sugar until 11 sometimes 12. What a waste of time that was until I finally let go of coffee, the process of making it, drinking it and the unproductiveness it brought ME...! (I used to love to check email, watch Live w/ Regis and Kelly. I was so unmotivated!) UNTIL!! my mother kept telling me that coffee was causing me stomach pain (yes, I have gastritis) and I was so stubborn, I heard her advice for years, she'd say "sarah, coffee caused me to have stomach problems too, you're just like me" until I decided (since I was using Lucinda Bassetts advice, as well as trying to lower my cholesterol) I might as well get rid of coffee while I'm at it. (Mom's are right!) Finally, I took her advice, cause I had such bad gas pain in my intestines (one glass of red wine on my bday set it off) I had to do something different. I switched to herbal TEA and it is awesome!!! I drank 1 pot of decaf for 1 week, then I switched to tea. This is the brand you need, Traditional Medicinals. Try Organic Ginger (promotes healthy digestion-stomach) or Organic Peppermint (healthy digestion - intestinal gas pain) 3 times a day after a meal....[read the box on how to make it (let it steep for 10-15 mins)] Get rid of coffee, I did and you can too! Make it a new ritual! And only order decaf at starbucks!!!

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Good for you, sarah for quitting caffeine. I hope that I can have that same motivation. I have been having less in the past few days and I hope that I can continue with that until I am completely caffeine free. For me, it's a real struggle though. Hopefully with help and support and determination I will be able to break free. It's not good. Sometimes it is not available and when I can't have it, I feel terrible. I don't want to have to be dependent on it anymore. I need to break free.

Don57

Post by Don57 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm

I haven't read all the responses on this thread. I saw one suggesting using only half real coffee and that's a good idea, to cut back gradually.

I was addicted about 22 years ago. I had gotten into the coffee habit when starting in accounting. I drank coffee all day long. It eventually caused more depression and I knew it was time to quit. It took me a year to completely get off it. I started drinking decaf and did some mixing of real with decaf. I couldn't stand decaf by itself to start. After about a year I was off totally. You can do it, just do it gradually.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:36 am

It's been half and year since I started this thread and I am still struggling with addictions to caffeine mainly and also sugar. It's both physically and mentally addictive for me. When I try to stop, I feel really tired and half alive, barely able to do daily tasks. I've tried going off gradually, but I usually just go back to having the regular amount. Mentally I tell myself that I need it in order to feel normal. without it, I think that I can't make it through another day. Yet at the same time, I KNOW that caffeine and sugar causes more anxiety and more depression and it depletes me of my natural energy. How can I get passed the mental and physical roadblocks in my recovery from this addiction? Is there maybe another person who is struggling with the same thing that I can make a deal with to quit for good? maybe if I have someone else to quit with, I will do it 'cause I don't want to be the one who breaks the deal.

jargon28

Post by jargon28 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:32 pm

michelle....I too suffer horribly from caffeine addiction...even though I'm still an addict, I belong to a great group over at Yahoo Groups..many people over there have made it through to the other side and have great advice to give..and while you might not want to hear this, it can take months to really recover from a caffeine addiction..if you're interested in joining then just go to Yahoo main page, then Groups, then type "caffeine addiction" in the search form...we are CaffeineBlues...

momurph

Post by momurph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 am

Hi Jargon28,
Thank you so much for sending along the name of your forum. I am going to check it out! I really need to quit caffeine too, but right now it is the only thing that gets me through the day -- without it I am extremely fatigued. I have 2 little girls who need a Mommy with at least a little bit of energy (even if it's fake "caffeine" energy).

I will check out your Yahoo Group today.

Thanks again,
maureen

ebnb

Post by ebnb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 am

Hello - I have a terrible time not having coffee. I drink decaf once a day but end up having my lattes (about 2 - 3 a day). I cannot give it up.

I also get migraines and caffeine is helpful with this along with my medication.

Anyone else with migraines? Struggles?

ebnb

jtmb2000

Post by jtmb2000 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:28 pm

I think the hardest thing for me is kicking my pepsi and chocolate habit. I would mix coffee and hot chocolate together about 4 cups a day in the winter. I have not had a pepsi in a week tomorrow and havnt had any coffee. The chocolate habit is really hard to get rid of. Between kicking the caffeine habit and trying to want to exercise, is the hardest for me.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”