caffeine addiction struggles

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
timidgirl

Post by timidgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:08 am

Hey Michelle,

How is your caffeine kick going today?

Becky

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:31 am

becky,
not too well. I had too much caffeine yesterday and I barely slept at all last night because of it. Now I'm feeling more depressed and more anxious. I'm getting that I should slowly wean myself off of caffeine, but the problem with that is that I don't know how much caffeine I'm having each day. It varies from day to day and I get it from all sources...coffee, soda, black and green tea, etcetera. How do I know if I'm really weaning myself off of caffeine if I have caffeine from all of these different things and what I drink varies from day to day? I can hardly even get myself moving this morning. I haven't had anything yet today, but the cravings are there.
I want to feel better and I want to get better.

Maeggie

Post by Maeggie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:25 am

HI There..

Just a thought to help the 'mental' part of coffee.. I weened myself onto 1/2 decafe and 1/2 regular.. now I am just doing decafe and I honestly dont notice any difference accept the anxiety is better throughout the day.. I love my coffee but hate the caffeine responses, this has worked well for me!

timidgirl

Post by timidgirl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:24 am

I'm doing the slowly weaning off also. I will have to have something hot in the mornings but I can find something without caffeine. I'm on 1/2 and 1/2 now and next I'll buy the decaf.

Michelle, don't be too hard on yourself. If you mess up one day just get back on the next. I'm trying to do that myself. If I have cokes in my fridge, I'll finish them and when they are gone, I'll buy more water and v8 juice. :)

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:38 am

i'll try the half caf. I had a little bit of caffeine, not as much as i usually have, but i did go overboard with the sugar. I don't usually have a lot of sugar, but today I went to the mall with my 10 year old neice. I had a sweet, sugary smoothie and I finished the rest of my neice's ice cream cone. Now I feel really tired. i barely have any energy and I don't feel very good. Oh, well - i'll just try to do better the rest of the day and the next few days.

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 pm

not too bad today. I had some caffeine, but I plan to wean myself off of it for the next three or four days. I will decrease the amount that I usually have to about half that amount and then eventually go completely caffeine free. I think what'll help me is telling myself that I only have to do this for a few days. Cause then I won't crazy thinking, "I can't have any more caffeine for the rest of my life?" I can, but first I have to learn not to use it as a drug. It makes me tired all day long and depressed. Today is a better day for me and I hope to continue in that direction.
Besides decaf coffee and tea, what are some other things that I could have that will help me feel better and gain energy but without the caffeine? I have heard that ginseng is good. Also, a multivitamin and b-complex might be good. I take those things, but not on a regular basis. It's my willpower, I just have to learn to say no to caffeine and that's final. I sure could use one of those caffeine addicts anonymous programs, but I don't think they have one 'cause it's not one of the hard drugs that people are addicted to, like alcohol and narcotics. Well, maybe being here on this forum will help me get the support i need, it's helping me so far. I am doing better, I just need to keep it up and not be so hard on myself if I do slip. I'm constantly looking for tricks and tips and mindgames to help me have an easier time kicking the caffeine habit. Anything would be great. any help, suggestions, personal stories about your own struggles, would be helpful to me. and maybe I can think of something for others who are struggling.

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:24 am

I've been writing a lot in this particular forum topic because it's really a priority now for me to kick the caffeine habit. Is there anyone else who would like to be my sponsor, kind of like they have in AA meetings? We could help eachother out and talk to one another if we have the urge to take.

Ben22

Post by Ben22 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:23 am

Hello Michelle, I have also been struggling with trying to kick my caffeine addiction. Also I am finding it extremly difficult to cut out cigarettes and alchohol, I'm only 20 but it feels like I have been dependant on them for so long. This week I have had exams at school and I have really been drinking alot of caffeine and smoking alot of cigarettes. I was doing well with the program, but due to my exams I kind of put it off. I don't know if that means I have to start the program all over again, or if I can just pick it up from session 5 again when I'm done my last exam tonight. If you want to stay in touch, that would be great. My e-mail is tragically_hip_37@hotmail.com, best of luck !

Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Benjamin,
hi. it's comforting to know that i'm not the only one out there with addiction problems. I have a very addictive personality. In the past, i have also had addictions to cigarettes, and even now, on occasion I'll have a drink when I know I shouldn't. I think that even though you've put off the program for your exams, you should get right back into where you left off. when you get through the program you can always review the whole thing again. I've been telling myself that I will do that (I finished the program last year, and I think it will benefit me if I do it again).
I would love to keep in touch and maybe we can help eachother out.
Michelle

Patty1954

Post by Patty1954 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 pm

I am glad to see this discussion on caffeine. When I listened to the CD about diet and exercize I had no intention of giving up coffee, but a few days ago I went without my afternoon coffee and slept so much better I decided to continue cutting back. Yesterday I only had 2 cups and now am awake since 4 am with the Headache. But I think I am getting better because when this happened before I felt like a victim, but now it makes me angry that is has such control of me that I had to get up to have caffeine to get rid of the headache. I am determined to get control of it now.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”