questions about exercise and caffeine.

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Michelle Holly

Post by Michelle Holly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:40 pm

I have a lot of thoughts on my mind. that is why i had to come on here and write.
exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I feel so tired much of the time. then I use caffeine to give me energy, but that only makes me crash. It's a whole big cycle that I can't stop.
Also,
how long should I exercise for? How often (everyday?)?
And caffeine. taper off or go cold turkey? How long should it take to taper off if I do that? How long will it take for me to feel better after being off of caffeine completely?

Jake2008

Post by Jake2008 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Michelle,

I drank coffee for years for the same reason; to give me a little energy each day, but as you've noticed once the coffee wears off you crash. I recently got off coffee and have been off for a couple of months. I slowed my coffee intake a little each day for a few of weeks until I wasn't drinking any more. I still have the occasional cola though.

Keep in mind that everyone is different and you may find it takes you a little longer or shorter time, but it is definitely doable.

I've found that exercising has help me A LOT with my energy levels. I started by just walking around my neighborhood for ten to fifteen minutes. Now I am up to walking about an hour every couple days.

I think I read somewhere that it is suggested you try to walk (or exercise) at least 30 minutes three times a week.

I also got a treadmill to use when it is too cold to walk outside.

I find that walking not only helps me with my energy levels, but getting out and about also helps clear and refresh my mind. :)

Jenni15

Post by Jenni15 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 am

Don't go off caffeine "cold turkey" bcause caffeine is like a drug, you will get SERIOUS headaches and all kinds of other withdrawal symptoms. Ween yourself off of it by drinking less and less of it each day. When you finish, you are going to feel so much better.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:37 am

It took me a long time to go off coffee. I started with half regular and half decaf. Then went to all decaf. I still however drink green tea. Now and then have a regular something or other but it doesn't seem to affect my anxiety anymore. As long as it is not every day and not all the time.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:36 am

As most of us I really enjoyed that morning cup of coffee. In the past I would take myself off it and replace it with Camamille tea when I noticed the anxiety and panic coming on. Since I started the program I no longer drink any coffee but replaced it with decaf which seems to satisfy.

I excercise 30 minutes 5 mornings a week. I have been doing that for many years which got me through some tough times...it's better than any drugs which I don't take...would be afraid of the side-effects.

Once I'm through with the program I will see how the caffein effects me but right now I don't miss it that much.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi. Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I think that walking might be a good thing for me to start with, since with exercise, it is difficult for me to get started. Then, maybe I can up the intensity and jog or run. I know that exercise helps me, I just have to remember that after some time of being off of caffeine I will regain my natural energy and then feel more motivated to exercise. This past week I have had too much caffeine, and I am paying for it 'cause I have been extremely depressed and anxious for the past few days. It was hard for me to even function and I didn't want to leave my house. Hopefully getting off of caffeine and exercising everyday will help with my depression and hopefully I can motivate myself to do it.
Gym classes at the YMCA seem to work well for me, but it's hard for me to get myself there. Sometimes I am too anxious and depressed to leave my house and I am too anxious about driving.

Mudgy

Post by Mudgy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Michelle` You should exercise 30 min. a day at least 3 days a week. I used to tell myself I was too tired to work out too,but I think that was just an excuse for me to be lazy.I have been working out every other day for about 3 mos. I really feel sooo much better! If im in a bad mood,I go to the gym and work it out.Sometimes i`ll stay there for 2 hrs. I used to just go to bed and say screw it i`ll feel better when I wake up. Not anymore. I havent lost much weight yet but I sure feel better.
As for the caffiene,wean yourself on that or you`ll get headaches. Take care

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:27 pm

This is the easiest part.
Here are the minimum guidelines:
You need to exercise an absolue minimum of 20 mins. every other day. And unfortunatley that is not a leasurly stroll through the mall or down the street. It is 20 minutes of strenuous exercise that gets your heart rate UP! Just walking at a leasurly pace, which is better than nothing, will not give you the benifits you need.
The easiest way to accomplish this is to get a Heart Rate Monitor, put it on, and go walk FAST for at least 30 minutes getting your heart rate UP to your target rate which depends on your age and level of fitness. (220 minus your age gives you a rough maximum heart rate to go by and if you exercise at a level of say 70% of that you will get the results you need from exercise)And the best part is that with the heart rate monitor your work out is easier because you can slow down as your heart rate goes over your target zone makeing the workout easier and easier to stick with. Don't forget if you haven't been exercising at all you need to ease your way in to it over the next month. The slower you go the easier and more likely you will acheive the benefits of the exercise and the more likely you will stick with it.
Remember, if this program was easy, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in. It is hard work. It is harder than any college degree, any business success, because we are having to REPROGRAM OURSELVES and that takes PERSISTENCE AND STUBBOURNESS!!!!!!! Good Luck!

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”