is anyone else as amazed as i am??

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
goodwillchic

Post by goodwillchic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:12 am

I really didn't think I had a bad diet before Session 5. I ate lots of veggies, fruits and grains and not much red meat. I also didn't drink soda very often and it indeed was a rare occasion when I would drink coffee. However, I did have a narly sweet tooth and while I would limit myself to one or two piece of candy/chocolate/whatever a day...I was still having something everyday. But despite how 'good' I was being, I was still fatigued a lot and moody too.

Anyway, so even though I didn't feel I had a whole lot of room to improve I went ahead and cut out all extra refined sugar (replaced it with fruit if I got a craving) and didn't have any soda or coffee all week. My fiance and I went for a walk every night and I also stopped eating after 8pm and was in bed by 10pm. I felt really great by the end of the week - success! I was waking up feeling refreshed and had a significantly 'higher' mood all around.

So I decided for the weekend I would reward myself by relaxing my rules a little bit (hmm, sorta like an alcoholic celebrating an alcohol free day with a beer huh?). We went to a friend's house after work Friday and instead of my normal meat free home cooked meal I munched on chips and chili cheese dip, had a piece of pepperoni french bread pizza and a Pepsi. We didn't get home until after 2am the next morning. The next day I did better but did eat after 8pm and had some sweets. I didn't really notice feeling different until Monday morning when my alarm went off at 6:30am. I was exhausted and those negative thoughts were back (I feel like crap, I don't want to go to work) and continued through Tuesday. Wasn't until mid day Tuesday when I realized what had happened.

Has anyone else seen/experienced this? Ken said on the tape that going clean for a week or two made a big difference...I guess I didn't realize how big a difference it had made until I went back to my bad habits. But I'm convinced now :)

pecos

Post by pecos » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:24 am

OMG ... and huge LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes to your question about others experiencing this, too.
I used to drink about one and one half cup of coffee every morning, along with a chocolate cookie habit every afternoon. I don't have any family anymore, so dinners were frozen stuff into the microwave. I have changed all of this, and only drink decaf. Chocolate is okay, but not everyday, and not too late (keeps me awake at night).
Last week I ran out of decaf and brewed a cup of regular coffee. I hadn't had caffeine in awhile, so wasn't prepared. I ended up going full throttle with morning chores, and finished, then vacuumed everything, including the ceilings! I was so revved up I could have been on fire. No more caffeine for me.
I am convinced too! :) :D

monty'smom

Post by monty'smom » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:19 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Since I cut out all sweets...drank a lot of coka cola everyday since the late 70's and would almost panic if I ran out. I have had maybe 4 pepsi's from a fast food place with my chicken burger in the past 7 weeks and that didn't seem to bother me too much...but I had a half a glass of red wine last night before bed ( we started drinking that after my husband's stroke a couple of months ago and was fine with a dry red wine..but this was homemade and was given to us to try) well it was sweet to me and I could not fall asleep last night for the 1st time since starting to eat right. I could not believe such a small amount of wine could cause so much grief...never again!!

I can eat a bowl of oatmeal at bedtime and actually it seems to help me fall asleep and stay asleep.
Have you noticed just how sweet anything and everything is now that you stopped the sugars??? I have a small glass of orange juice 2 times a day and it seems so sweet to me now. I also don't find lemons as sour as I used to..yes they are still sour but seem less..LOL

I used to consume mass quantities of chocolate chips, bars, ice cream, frozen yogurt, pies, cakes, and candy and I think I would throw it all up now...so won't even go there.

I enjoy the weight loss and not feeling tired and weak everyday!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Take care and behave...LOL ;)
BELIEVE YOU CAN CONQUER ANYTHING~ AND YOU WILL !! I DID IT, YES !!!!!

goodwillchic

Post by goodwillchic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:31 am

It is amazing the adverse effects just a small amount of sugar and/or caffiene can have after abstaining for awhile.

Speaking of that, my fiance and I are going over to a friend's tonight for Halloween. While I'm confident I will be able to stay away from the candy, I'm concerned about the caffiene. During the week I am in bed by 10pm. It took me several weeks to get into this healthy sleep habit (before I wasn't going to bed until 11:30 or past midnight and getting up at 6:30 for work). However, I don't want to be yawning and nodding off at 9:30 at my friend's as I'm sure we will be staying until midnight or so.

My question: what is a more natural, less drastic 'pick me up' than downing a soda??

Any and all suggestions are welcome...thanks!!

mom41

Post by mom41 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:49 am

thanks for your information. i am at the end of week 5. i have a morning cup of coffee everyday and an afternoon chocolate treat or two everyday. i've been telling myself that this was not too much and this week's session didn't really apply to me. i haven't considered taking to heart the adivce to cut out stimulants, since, in my mind, the amount i am consuming is so small. i am going to committ to the challenge of coming clean for a week and see how i feel. now that i have said that, i don't know how in the world i'll survive without feeding my sweet tooth. i see already that this is going to create some anxiety for me. it's a balancing act for sure.

Lynnier

Post by Lynnier » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:14 am

With the others, I am amazed at how much better I feel. As an over all act of being and thinking healthier, I cut out sugar, white flour, soda and caffeine when I started the program. Almost immediately I felt better. Then, the first Sunday night after I started, I decided to have some chocolate. I sat with my family and ate several Hershey Kisses. That evening was miserable for me. I had the obsessive, scary thoughts and felt myself going into a panic/anxiety attack. Then, I started running around like a chicken with my head cut off to keep myself busy and avoid them. The next morning, I realized what I had done and blamed the sugar that I had eaten the night before. Now, three weeks later, I cannot believe how much better I feel. It's Saturday morning and I'm taking my time cleaning the house and thinking, "Hi there me. It's great to see you, been a long time since you've been around." So, yes....I am as amazed as everyone else.

goodwillchic

Post by goodwillchic » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 am

Mom41, I'm glad my experience could help give you the inspiration to try going 'clean' I do have some good news, you don't have to give up on sweets forever. After a while (at least several weeks) of keeping off the stimulants, you will realize how much they can affect your mood. Then, you will be able to have a small sweet every once in a while and if/when you begin to feel anxious..you will know why. Good luck!

Charlotte Mae On My Way

Post by Charlotte Mae On My Way » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:09 am

I am personally having trouble with this. I am 5'8'' and weigh 118 lbs. I am trying to GAIN weight and I know that sounds silly to someone that has weight loss issues. But it is hard for me. I keep the diahrea because of my anxiety and "IBS" caused by my anxiety. If I cut out sugars I may only weigh 18 pounds. The bad thing is I hate meat. It upsets my stomach. I donteven like to look of it!

I dont know what to do .

I enjoy exerising but there goes my pounds I work so hard to gain and people say. "You make me sick you are so skinny" That is just tas hurtful for me to say "you make me sick you are so obese" Does anyone understand?

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”