from anxiety to depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
bob p

from anxiety to depression

Post by bob p » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:44 am

i used to have 100% anxiety which never even turned into depression, now (20 something years later) i have 90% depression with just a little anxiety. funny how i almost miss the anxiety. just trying to find a way to get out of this funk. feel as though im just going through the motions. i want to feel life again. anyone have any suggestions. i believe i dont think i can make any decisions. that really stinks. i know its in the doing but getting through the uncomfortable feeling is terrible. i will be strong and seek counseling because life is so worth it. just frustrating because ive already had a handful of counselors (including Stress) and i never seem to take the advice and keep using it. i just want to keep asking whats wrong with me. unbelievable. nothing is the answer. enjoy life and face my fears. thanks for letting me vent. wont be the last time. haha.

randy c.

Re: from anxiety to depression

Post by randy c. » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Bob, you mentioned in another post that you played ball and that helped some. Maybe get more involved in other stimulating activities or maybe being around friends or other people. Hey whatever it takes just get out there and live. We only get one round so make it a good one. ;)

sarahabel83

Post by sarahabel83 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 am

Agree with Randy. You should spend more time in your hobby and other activity, which you like or want to do. You can also include your friends in this. This will be more fun and you can easily get out of depression. Love yourself. Somewhere I read a nice quote “love the life you live and live the life you love”.

bob p

Post by bob p » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:31 am

thanks randy and sara. i do have hobbies but its tough when because i have four kids and time is short. i know thinking is definitely my problem because sometimes actually most of the time i dont let myself be mentally free and thats just not living. i am going to start doing some relaxation techniques today. ive been awfully short of breath lately and im in good shape. the key is going to be how am i going to let myself relax. i hope it will just be with some practice. thanks again.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Bob: I know exactly what you are talking about. I recently was having a lot of anxiety
and I was becoming frustrated, irritated, agitated and pissed off about everything.
I got an additional anxiety medication from my doctor and now I feel that the anxiety
is under control at this moment. But now I find myself crying every day. I find that
my depression has increased. I am a worrier and I worry about everything.

I was in the psychiatric hospital last October and
after that I participated in an Partial Hospitalization
Program. I was really receptive at the time to learning the Cognitive Behavioral
Therapy coping skills. I met a lot of great people in that program and the
facilitators were fantastic. I finally met a group of people that understood
what I was going through. I did not feel alone.

But now I still find myself having many ups and downs when what I really want
is "ups" all of the time. In October, November, December and January I was
keeping very busy. I was getting out of my apartment almost every day for
classes and workshops and support groups. February sucked and I stayed home.
( I had a problem with isolating myself for about two years previously ).
Then March and April weren't too bad. But I started to have a lot of physical health
issues and started to see a lot of doctors. I started to get severely overwhelmed.
I have seen seven doctors in the past four months. May and June have been
unproductive. Terribly unproductive as far as working on my recovery. I have
no motivation from within myself.

It seems that during the past two months all of my training and learning from last
year at the Partial Hospitalization Program have just gone out the window !
I have all the coping skills in my brain and I have what I call a "coping skills
toolbox" at home. I have everything at my disposal each day but I have been
so overwhelmed and depressed that I am not using my coping skills.
Now I almost feel like I have to start all over with learning to use my coping
skills on a daily basis so it becomes like second nature to me.
It is very hard to get things done when I am depressed. It is very hard to
find joy in anything when I am depressed. It takes so much effort to get
through each day when I am depressed. I am so tired.
I am also physically handicapped.

I am hoping that July can be the month that I get back into the swing
of things and start using my coping skills again and go back to those
support groups and workshops and classes. I have noticed such a change
in my mood and my daily living since I have quit socializing each week.
I guess I thought I would be doing much, much better than I am doing
now when I got out of the hospital last October. Maybe I thought I would
be "cured" by now. This journey is so long and tiring and I am on it
all alone.

Bob, please have patience. I know you can do it.
We have all walked in your path and we understand what you are going through.

Sorry I have talked so long. I have not been on the website for a while.
I guess I had to vent.

Lynda :)

bob p

Post by bob p » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:36 am

lynda thank you for your help. i do understand what you are going through and we are both going to get through these rough times. i know with me when things start getting rough, i guess because of family issues or financial issues, i subconsciously have bad things to say to myself and that is when things start to get all out of whack. we really have to start changing the way we think and it will automatically happen subconsciously. i wish you all the luck. thanks again.