Do anti-depressants help?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
jdog499

Do anti-depressants help?

Post by jdog499 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi, I've been on this site before. I recently have had one of my dark times over the past month and I wanted some input. I had always came on here for anxiety issue's. I've suffered from anxiety since my senior year of high school. I had a bad panic attack in 2009 that caused me to seek help. I was put on a anti-anxiety med, that was about all the help I got with it. During that time I started going through depression. Had sleeping issues. It went on for awhile and I wasn't working at the time. In 2010 I finally got a job with my friend and it seemed like the depression went away. The anxiety was still there but I could control it. I did decently for 3 years. So back in December I was laid off, and I had that worry that if I wasn't working I'd go through that dark period again. I was surprised after 4 month's I hadn't. I was bored a lot and bummed out but I was ok. So the first week of April this year I kind of started getting some bad anxiety but not so bad that I was constantly worrying about it. So on a Friday night, I had a softball game, felt good, felt ok when I got home, was feeling decent. But at 2am that night I started getting real uncomfortable and I pretty much threw myself into a bad panic attack that I hadn't experienced in years. It was to a point where I was telling my brother to call 911 because I thought I was dying. I didn't go to the ER that night, I eventually calmed down after a few hours and went to bed. But the days after that I started getting depressed about it. I would get anxious when I tried to take a walk . I thought I was going crazy. So I went in to the ER one afternoon(fyi I don't have health insurance) and wanted to be checked out. They did ekg's, chest x rays, blood work and everything came back normal like all the other times I went to the ER. So leaving the hospital I felt a little relieved and that I was going to be ok. But as the weeks went by I started having that same depression I had back in 2009. I'd feel hopeless, started feeling like I was a loser and i'd never have a job, I couldn't control my anxiety. I just felt like I returned to that dark place I was in back in 09. I thought once I get a job i'd feel ok again. So three weeks ago I was hired through a temp agency at my brother in laws warehouse re packing boxes and palletizing. I thought that'd cure me , but the first day there I'm even more depressed. So now today I still am depressed. It seems so off and on but more on. My anxiety seems under control, I started going to the gym an I do a lot of walking around at work. I lost about 20 lbs since this episode(I am overweight so I don't mind the weight loss). Sorry for the long story, but I was wondering does anyone think I should get on a anti depressant. My family and g/f all think I should. I've tried to just pull myself out of it like I did before so I don't have to take one. Honestly I've been against trying to take them, i'm not hating on anyone who does, but I already am on a anti anxiety med and I just don't want to be on multiple meds. I kind of had a breakthrough today. I had a good night sleep(which I hadn't had in a few nights) and I told myself I would try and be ok at work. But an hour into it i'm talking to my brother at work trying not to cry and I think to myself "I have no reason to be feeling like this right now". I was thinking I was depressed because of the past month I've had and not liking my job, but this random feeling of sadness made me realize I am probably going through pure depression right now. So I said to my brother you know what, I will try antidepressants if this is how it's going to be now. I just wish I could find a professional that can point me in the right direction. I'm confused . I'm not sure if im depressed because of my situation and the month I've had and that it will eventually go away on its own or do I have bad enough depression that I need to take action with meds. any advise would help because I feel like im pretty familiar with the anxiety issues but not with depression.