Depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
dettelman

Depression

Post by dettelman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi, I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember and maybe even before that. I am 53 years old and have run my own business for 31 years. I am married and have two children. Unfortunately my wife came down with a chronic illness at 48 years of age. She had to retire from her job, which really affected our financial situation. It put all the pressure on me to succeed in my business. We then put an addition on our house and then took in her disabled mother. Now I got stuck taking care of them as well as my children. The business started to slow down which has put me in a very tough situation since my wife can't work. We are at the point where she has filed for a divorce, but we are still living in the same home until we can sell it. This has been going on for about 5 months and will continue until we can sell. I feel like I am living a nightmare(like just about everything else in my life). I have the program, which I got about two years ago. I am just starting to listen and understand it. At first, when I listened I didn't really pay attention to the CD's. I could go on forever, but my main concern is to reduce the anxiety and depression so I can function to get through these issues. Lately, I have had crying spells just about everyday. I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am lonely and feel like a failure.

shawnalv

Re: Depression

Post by shawnalv » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Oh, gosh, you're going through too much! Remember to take a deep breath every so often, and as you exhale, say "one day at a time". Then, make sure to listen to the tapes.

It's been a year since I listened to the tapes. Did really great for a while, but lately have hit some bumps in the road that make me need to listen again - to change my perspective. I lost my job, and for the first month and a half I waas surprisingly okay and under control with it -!! I attribute a lot of that to the tapes and the skills i learned on the tapes -- and a lot on switching to Wellbutrin. But, yesterday and today, I'm starting to feel less in control, a lot more anxious, and very depressed. I'm on a crying jag right now; my 10 year old is watching tv and hopefully oblivious to it. Maybe I'll take a valium for tonight.

Well, good luck. I know it doesn't help much - but you're not alone.