New to the Forum but not to the Program

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
jonmf77

New to the Forum but not to the Program

Post by jonmf77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Hi everyone, my name is Jon and I've been dealing with anxiety and depression pretty much my entire life. I actually ordered the program back in 2001-2002. I've tried going through it multiple times and the farthest I've made it in the past is week 3. I decided to start again with a goal of finishing it this time.

I'm currently on week 4 and the program is def anxiety producing like they say. Anxiety producing in the way that I'm actively working through my mental barriers. Self talk has been a bit of a challenge for me. I feel like I mentally wear myself out by constantly trying to put up the stop sign and change my thoughts. Those life long learned negative responses don't want to let go so easily. But I have faith that it will get easier the more I practice it.

I also am reading a book recommended by week 3 of the program titled "What to Say When you Talk to Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter. I'm about half way through and I'm really enjoying it. Would highly recommend!

I hope to update everyone with continued progress as I work through the program. Like I said, I plan on finishing it this time around ;)

Good luck to everyone!

coachchris

Re: New to the Forum but not to the Program

Post by coachchris » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi Jon,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. How great to see you persevering and committing to getting through the whole program. I also loved Shad's book and found the selftalk in the back of it very helpful. We use it a lot in coaching.

Please PM if you need anything at all.
We are here to help!
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

bob p

Post by bob p » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:52 pm

well jon i hope you are doing great with the program. i know its been quite a few months since you post but good luck anyway. i understand your struggles because i do the same thing. i start and never finish. very frustrating but if you feel you need someone to do the program with you i am game. well good luck anyway. bob

findpeace

Post by findpeace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:34 am

Jon, I know the felling with self-talk repeatedly. There is so much negative fighting back and it gets titing, but it's worth staying the course.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Hello Jon:

I also purchased the program a few years ago. I started the program twice, once in 2010 and the other time in 2011. Although the program was not a success for me I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is all medically sound advice. The "self-help" technique was not a match for me. I found that effectively communicating with my peers through support groups facilitated by a licensed therapist or social worker was the key to my recovery. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy really does work. It teaches you all of the copying skills that you need to guide you through your recovery. I was once very isolated but now I am starting to work on empowering myself through support groups and other mental health programs available to me. These support groups and programs are fantastic. I get the guidance that I need to build up my confidence. I recommend that you look for a depression or anxiety support group in your town. Utilizing these support groups, PLUS working on the program at the same time might just be the match for you.
Hope to hear from you soon.
LyndaLu

munchkin51

Post by munchkin51 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi everyone:
I have been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was 5. I'm 51 now.To make my long story short I have been in therapy since I was 15 most of the time. Things did not get real bad until 2006 when 12 people in my life died. The to most important was my Dad in March and my boss, who was like a dad in August. Someone had bought the program for my boss who never used it. His wife gave it to me since she was so worry about me. It sat on my bookshelf in till 2008. I went though all the program and got off most of my meds. I was babysitting one child at my home and things were very good for four years. I went back to school and got my cNA. I started working this May and all hell broke lose. I have been in the hospital twice and finally had to quit my job because of my anxiety. I have realized that taking care of just one child I was o.k. If all the responsilitys of my new job I could not handle it. After a month of not being able to do anything I got the program back out and I am working on it. I am on week two and taking my time this time to go though it. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone.

God Bless,
Munchkin51

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 pm

munchkin:

Thank you for sharing your story.
I am 53 years old and I have been on Social Security Disability for one year now.
I had a major breakdown in 2007. I was hospitalized three times in two months.
Long story short, I know that I will never be able to return to
a job position like I had before I was let go from my job in 2009
due to workforce reduction. I had a very stressful position at a bank
for 24 years. I was in charge of millions of dollars. I was doing an
accounting type position. There were many deadlines to meet.
There were so many responsibilities to handle.

At this time I finally have the opportunity to spend all of my
time healing myself. The scars of my illness will always be there.
But I now have the hope that I can be a happier and healthier me.
I did not have the opportunity to spend time on my recovery in the past,
but I do now. I have the income, health insurance and access to programs
and services in my community now. I must take full advantage of
all that has been given to me recently. All this is truly a blessing.
This may be my only chance to learn the skills I need,
to get the support I have always wanted , and to rebuild my life.
I am not going to rebuild my life on my old foundation, but on a brand new one.

There is hope for all of us.

LyndaLu ;)