Agoraphobia and traveling

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
jewel2024

Agoraphobia and traveling

Post by jewel2024 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi, I'm Jen. I'm 27 and have had panic disorder for about 10 years. I am so depressed. I cry every day. I live in Florida n haven't traveled out of Florida in over 10 years. Now that I'm married my husband wants to go on vacations out of state and I'm terrified. We went about 5 hours away from home on our last vacation n I did good until the fourth day then I started to get home sick. Now he wants to go to North Carolina because his parents r moving there n this is gonna be a every year thing. I don't think I can do it. I get severe panic attacks where I don't feel real n don't recognize the people around me that are my family. It comes in waves and can last for hours. I feel like i have to go to a hospital. Does anyone experience this? Has anyone finally taken that road trip and made it? What did u do on the road trip to help?

coachchris

Re: Agoraphobia and traveling

Post by coachchris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 am

Hi Jen! Good to see you on the forums. Your experience traveling is a common one. We have lies attached to our past feelings/experiences and we have to work hard to get our power back and bring truth in. Review lessons 2 and 3 and work on becoming your safe person and safe place. Remember that what we are feeling is adrenalin and we can learn to breath/float through it as well as understand why it is there. Most of us are anticipating and pushing the adrenalin thus creating that anxiety cycle that it hard to exit out of. As you begin to think better, truth-tell and under-react to adrenalin you get your control back. Take baby steps. Create an action plan. Do some positive visualizing.

Private message me if you would like to talk again. You got this!!

Coach Chris StressCenter.com