4 o'clock bouts of the blues?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
MirandaLey

4 o'clock bouts of the blues?

Post by MirandaLey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing really well on your personal journeys of recovery. For the most part, I'm feeling really good. I was diagnosed with OCD about a month ago, and since then I've been working on the program (I'm about to start Session 7 tomorrow!) and reading and doing another program my therapist has given me that is specifically directed to OCD. I am also cutting back on the sugar, I don't drink caffeine, and I've been really trying to work out aerobically for 30 minutes a day, though sometimes it's more like 20 minutes lol.

I am on citalopram 40 mg, and my therapist and the psychiatrist believe that I won't have to be on it all my life, just when I have big stress or change in my life, but we're working on these cognitive behavioural skills (including the program -- my therapist hadn't heard of Lucinda or the Stress Centre but really thinks it's a good idea) and hopefully in the future I can rely on these skills instead of going on medication. But I am really glad it's there in case I ever need it.

My panic attacks have gone away and I've experienced a big drop in the obsessive scary thoughts (my OCD doesn't have any compulsions or rituals, just obsessive scary thoughts) and my depression has definitely improved. I was not suicidal but my sad, hopeless, scared depression feelings made my new obsessive fear be that I would kill myself, and this was before I had my OCD. I was so scared because I didn't know that that was just my scary obsession, I thought maybe I was actually suicidal, and until the psychaitrist told me that I was not but that I had OCD I was pretty scared. Anyways I don't have those feelings anymore but I have noticed that quite often throughout my week I feel a bit down and blue around 4 p.m. It's weird that it always seems to happen at this time.

That is when it starts to get dark here now, but I think this happened before that. It seems strange to me. It usually goes away when my husband comes home from work and I make supper and we eat. I'm confused as to what could be causing this. It's usually a mood that is fairly easy to repair, but it does make me second-guess myself and my progress.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks so much and God bless you all, sending healing, happy thoughts your way :)

bob p

Re: 4 o'clock bouts of the blues?

Post by bob p » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 am

hello mirandaley. i am wodering what is going on with your thinking around that time. could you be thinking about how your husbands day has gone or maybe your stressing about what to make for dinner. try writing down your thoughts during the day and maybe you will start to see a pattern of negative fearful thoughts that are bringing you down. let me know i am interested because i go through the same down feeling and am going to start writing myself. good luck. bob

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks Bob, I think that is a great idea and I will try it. I am on Session 7 and I try to remember to write down my negative thoughts and turn them around in my iPhone but it can be easy to forget sometimes lol. I am also wondering if it is a protein thing, because I am a vegeterian, so I am trying to have more protein at breakfast and lunch.

Does yours happen at the same time of day as mine? Could it be weather-related?

bob p

Post by bob p » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 pm

no prob mirandaley. im not too sure about the protein thing but weather and stressful events (or events that we make stressful) definitely play a role in how we feel. i really believe if we can just catch those thoughts that make us uneasy and resolve and dissolve them we would be a whole lot better. i love the saying or prayer God grant me the peace to accept the things i cannot change, courage to change the things i can and wisdom to know the difference. good luck. dont worry we will get through these rough times.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 am

Hi Miranda,

First thing I would be working on is not over-thinking the feeling. People like us move from worry to another. Once we get over one obsessive thought we find another one to pick apart and consume us. Anytime you find yourself questioning or getting stuck in a thought, pause and take ownership of the pattern. Tell yourself you're overthinking this, look for the facts and problem solve.

Second, many of us have a drop in energy at that time of they day. It could be diet related. I would try and eat something around 3pm, drink a large glass of water and take a short break from the day. This could be a good time to use your relaxation cd. The key here is to keep the break to around 20-30 minutes.

Lastly, be prepared with positive selftalk. Tell yourself: I am a good thinker, I am a healthy woman, this is just a negative thought and a bad habit, I choose to let negative thoughts float by. It's very important to interrupt the questioning thoughts quickly. Keep under-reacting:) You got this!

Keep me posted.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 am

Thank you! Lately I have been eating more protein in the lunch meal and notice a difference. Also, I like what you said about not over-thinking the feeling. I think sometimes for me it's just that I'm kind of worn out -- after chasing around a busy toddler all day, sometimes more kids too (I babysit part-time so I can stay home with my daughter) and know you have to cook supper soon, that can be stressful!

bob p

Post by bob p » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:44 pm

wow ! coach chris knows his stuff. good luck miranda and thank you chris you definitely have helped me in the past and have not lost your touch.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 am

It's so comforting to know that not only are there others working on their recovery here, but coaches who have been through it all and are here to help us. Honestly, I just feel so much gratitude that this program exists... and to think, it was all down to one incredibly strong woman who fought her way through all of this by herself!!