Cant drive bymyself? So depressed!

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
jewel2024

Cant drive bymyself? So depressed!

Post by jewel2024 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi. My name is Jennifer. Ive suffered from panic disorder for 7 years. Im 27. I did this program 5 years ago and it helped me so much! Im starting to do it again, because my agoraphobia and panic attacks are out of control. I feel like I'm spinning out of control. I had to take a week off work so my Dr. could put me on Risperdone 1 mg because my ocd is so bad, that my constant state of panic is making me not eat and sleep little. I am married and my son is 6. I had a really bad attack when driving like 3 weeks ago and since then I've been afraid to drive by myself more than a mile from home. I feel trapped in my own home and hate feeling this way because I'm such a independent person. im afraid every moment of having another attack and I dont want to get worse and have to take more med. Has anyone gone through this and gotten better? I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Esme1979

Re: Cant drive bymyself? So depressed!

Post by Esme1979 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm

hi jennifer,

i have had panick attacks and anxiety for 8 years now, ever since i was 25 and for me its almost always related to driving. i am 33 and my daughter is 13 i hate her having to see me panicky, she is so strong and i never want her to be weak. i can relate to the not wanting to drive alone. my panick comes and goes and more so often in rain and snow. last week when it was raining i was feeling fine when i took my daughter to school then on the way back i literally made my own self panick, i even put my emergency brakes on and felt that i wanted to get out of the car, then later that night i made myself drive to walgreens which is like three blocks away and it wasn't even raining and i cried and panicked the whole way there, i was almost going to leave my car there and walk home... since then i have decided to truly do the program the way its intended to be used.... i have had the program for over a year but what i do is try something for a bit and like you i am strong and independent and dont like to give my panick or fears any acknowledgment but then it spirals to the point where i am scared to do anything at all! this has even prevented me from getting certain jobs because i wont drive on the expressway.... i want to keep writing more, but how about you reply to this or send me a personal message and we will get through this- support is key and you are NOT alone! you will get through this!!!! you will!!!! im Esmeralda btw...

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Hey there, I 2 had a panic attack while driving and since then I have only been able to drive about 3 miles from the house and if I go any further I freak... heart pounds I get blurry vision and the whole 9 yards. I don't know what it is about driving around my house but that's all I can do. It really is depressing bcus I need to go places bcus im a wife and a mother! I am doing the program and thinking of medication at this point!! So how are you doing now???

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 am

How are you doing now? I hope things are getting better for you!!!

findpeace

Post by findpeace » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am

My anxiety comes while driving a car, resulting from an accident I had last year. My fears are driving on large bridges and going up steep hill/mountain on highway. Also, being in traffic or being stopped at many red lights.

I've had this for a year and I've made progress, but I'm not all the way back. It's frustrating. I can go a few miles, easily, but long distance trips bother me, too. Like 60 + minutes.

daniele1986

Post by daniele1986 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Jennifer,
You definately aren't alone in this. I also hate driving alone. I used to be able to do it all the time by myself. I now even find it hard to drive with someone else. I avoid doing things just so i don't have to get into the car. I am starting the program over again and hoping maybe it will work this time if i continue the whole way. How are you doing now? Or anyone else for that matter?

Daniele