hormones and depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
chelsee

hormones and depression

Post by chelsee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I have been doing this program for about a month now. The past 4 months I have struggled intensely with depression and anxiety, especially around my period. in the normal times of the month I feel that I can control my thoughts and emotions to the point that I'm ok, but around my period I feel completely out of control. I have tried birth control to try and even out my hormones, but I felt that it just made my anxiety worse. I would like to handle this without any medications, I'm just not sure if that's possible. Will my OCD and hormonal anxiety and depression get better by going through this program? If I can't control my hormones, will I still be able to control how they effect me? I just need to know that this is more in my control than I think.

coachchris

Re: hormones and depression

Post by coachchris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Chelsee,

What a great question. You will see as you continue on your journey that all of the tools and knowledge you glean from this program is very helpful for PMS and OCD. Just knowing that it is hormones and learning how to be prepared and take better care of ourself is huge for the PMS. I have learned that especially a few days before my cycle I have to keep my schedule simple, stay away from sugars and watch my mouth. Learning how to float with that anxious, jittery feeling helped me a ton.Use your 2-4 belly breathing. Lastly, I have found that adding exercise and a better diet just made every month better.

Remember that our adrenals and how active they are really affect how our other hormones perform. So, if we are learning how to manage stress better and develop better thinking patterns then you are giving your body a chance to balance out. The relaxation cd plays a huge factor here too. Try and use it 3 times a day.

May I ask, how old are you? Have you ever had your hormone levels checked?

Here to help,
Coach Chris

chelsee

Post by chelsee » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:41 am

I am 23. I have gone to a few doctors concerning my hormones, but have been discouraged when their only suggestion is to get on birth control which I have tried a few times now and found it doesn't do well for me. I'm just ending this months cycle and found that it went much smoother that the three previous, but I fear it might just be a fluke, and I'll be back at square one next month.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Chelsee,

So glad to hear that this month was better :) How is your program going? Keep exercising and using your relaxation cd. Lots of water! Do you take a multi-vitamin? Would love to have a free coaching call with you and talk more about this. Just private message me if you would like to talk.

Here to help,
Coach Chris

dellarose6

Post by dellarose6 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:48 pm

HiChelsee,
I am just beginning this program. I see myself in what you have been talking about and experiencing when I was your age. The one thing that I didn't realize was at that time, how much my hormones were affecting my life and moods.
Do people around you make comments about your moods that make you feel worse? This is something I struggled with which made me feel worse because I felt so out of control. The depression was very bad right before my period, once I realized that, I would say to myself, I must be getting my period.
Is this program helping you at this point?

chelsee

Post by chelsee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I have been doing the program for almost 2 months now. I am feeling a little bit more in control, but still just as depressed. I can't seem to except the way life is right now. I have noticed I am more sensitive and extreme in my feeling and reactions around my period, but even the better times of the month its an even depression that I try to except but can't. I have to convince myself every day that life will be worth living again, I just keep fighting and waiting for the day I wake up ok.