Trouble Staying Asleep at Night

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
leapyearms

Trouble Staying Asleep at Night

Post by leapyearms » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:36 am

Hello! Maybe someone has some advice for me. I have been having panic/anxiety attacks for the past 3 months, and recently found out I had had a small vessel stroke. When this happened at work I was so distraught that naturally a panic attack ensued.... at work. Anyway, I have purchased StressCenter program and feel it will help me. I am on 20 mg Viibryd + either Xanax or Klonopin if I feel an attack coming on. I was off work for 5 weeks with these issues. I take 30 mg Temazepam for sleep at night and have for maybe 3 years (it was 15 mg the first few yrs).

I cannot seem to "stay asleep", waking up after 3-4 hours. Before the panic attacks started, I was able to fall back asleep after going to the bathroom; but no more. I toss and turn and then my mind goes crazy trying to fall back asleep, because I know I have to work in the morning. I need 7-8 hours of sleep. I was wondering if maybe upping to 45 mg would help. I would hate to overdose!!! But, I need to sleep in order to function at work and I feel awful when I can't sleep in addition to being panicky. Any advice? Try going to bed later, like 10:00 rather than 9:00-9:30? Thank you for listening.leapyearms

Private message

coachchris

Re: Trouble Staying Asleep at Night

Post by coachchris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

Good Morning Leapyearms,

This is a common problem for many of us. I would recommend a couple things: First, use your relaxation CD 2-3 times a day. Especially right before bed. No heavy late night eating. Decrease caffeine and increase your water. It is very important to under-react and stay positive when you wake up. Have some good sleep selftalk prepared. For Instance: I always fall back to sleep quickly. My body is relaxed and at peace. I am a good sleeper. Lastly, I would focus on a word or calm scene in your mind. This is going to take a lot of redirecting but just keep trying. For example: I say the word peace or rest and do my 2-4 belly breathing. When my mind drifts I come back to the word. Some people choose a calm scene like a lake or clouds floating by. Again, this is very hard but keep at it. Keep practicing. I want to stress again to under-react and keep a good attitude. One of our coaches wrote a book called, A Time to Sleep, by Tammy Barlekamp. You may find that helpful.

You will find as you begin to think better, your body will start to feel better and sleep will continue to improve.

I would love to schedule a free coaching call with you and we could address all this in more detail and get you feeling better faster. Feel free to PM by clicking on the tab to the right and we can get you on the schedule.

Here's to your courage and good sleep!
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

leapyearms

Post by leapyearms » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am

Thank you Chris. I stopped taking my hormone replacement 2 months ago; then read where a woman's hormones directly affect her sleeping patterns. I decided to re-start them (both estrogen & progesterone as I have not had a hysterectomy). Since that very first night, I have slept so well; I couldn't believe it. I appreciate all your kind words.

I was wondering, though, I did not know anyone had replied to my post until today, August 18, via email from StressCenter. I wrote on July 19 and your reply was July 27; so 3+ weeks lapsed before I new someone had written me. Is this common? I have not been a regular to the posts. Thanks so much again, Chris!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will check with our technical people on the alerts. I noticed I was having some trouble with alerts too. So glad to hear that sleep has improved. We see hormones play such a huge role for both women and men and to be able to pinpoint that for you is such a great blessing. I hope you are continuing to use your program. Every positive thought we have helps bring the body back into balance and increases our well-being. I know you had some stress that triggered a lot of this, so pay close attention to lesson 14 as you move through the program along with lessons 2 and 3.

Keep us posted on your progress. Would love to have a free coaching call with you.
We are here to help :)
Coach Chris