Seasonal Affective Disorder

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
mosaic1989

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Post by mosaic1989 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Just been thinking about the struggle that some have during the winter months, I definitely struggle with this. It has been suggested to me light therapy and possibly going to a tanning bed for the light and warmth. It has been cold here and lots of places this week and that seems like I have been bothered myself. Here's is an article that Lucinda put on her tweets. You could copy and paste this into your browser.

http://triblocal.com/evanston/community ... e-of-year/

Anyway anybody else have issues with this, maybe we could share ideas here. Usually I start suffering in fall and by spring I'm just getting by. This year I am determined that it be different. I think the cold definitely effects my mood and the feeling of being trapped inside. :)

Nel01073

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Post by Nel01073 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:21 pm

I can really relate this is a problem for me. I dont like the lack of sunshine and the cold. It started about three years ago when my depression became stronger. I try to be positive or do something fun like listen to music but its still a real struggle.

mosaic1989

Post by mosaic1989 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Someone suggested to me to try the tanning beds a couple times a month. I haven't tried it yet, but doing a little better recently due to the program. Last week was kinda tough, because we had bitter cold here. I think that also effects me. I think some of it what we tell ourselves but some is just that it's hard on the body when it's that cold. Thank goodness it doesn't last too long. I think if it above 25 at least that makes a difference when it gets bitter, it's hard to take. But it has warmed up a bit. But I suppose there is some good things in the article about what we tell ourselves about it. I think a lot of people suffer with this. :)

Nel01073

Post by Nel01073 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Im glad youre doing better. Weve had pretty nice weather lately. Today it was in the 60s so its been good. I dont know if the tanning beds would help but I would avoid them. I think the program and surrounding myself with people has helped me alot because for me alot of it comes from the fear of being alone. I miss the long summer days staying up late and having people around. :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm

The weather absolutely affects our mood. :(

I grew up in Minnesota and I know a little about the freezing cold temperatures and the really dark
depressing days. If it wasn't raining, it was snowing, or clouds covered the sky almost on a daily basis.
I think your ideas are great, the light therapy and the tanning beds. Hope you start feeling better soon.
I will pray for an early spring up in Nebraska :)

Lynda

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:51 pm

When I lived in Vancouver, my anxiety came back full on. I lasted 8 months in that city. Always raining and pouring..so gloomy. Yes, I tried tanning booths, too, though I know they're not good for you. I took lots of vitamin D, exercised, drank water, stayed busy...but the weather just reallllyyyy brought me down. I am now in Salmon Arm and the seasons are wonderful! I keep taking vitamin D!! :)

mombo

Post by mombo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I lived up by seattle the last 10 years and felt myself get worse and worse with the gloomy weather. It seems that the last few years every month there was a record breaking amount of rainfall. Anti depressants didn't work. I started developing clostrophobia when it started getting dark I would get panicky. Last August we moved to Arizona and I am full of gratitude and happiness every day. I think this program would have helped me if I would have started it up there. I realize now how negative my thoughts and attitudes had gotten. I haven't been able to go back because of the panic but now with these new skills I think that I will be able to handle it.

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Mombo,

keep up the program and keep smiling. Way to go. It is tough for me to go back to a town where I spent three years (Nelson, BC), sometimes, because I have a memory of being so anxious there. And seeing all my wonderful friends brings me so much joy, but I also get anxious because I know I'll miss them and the town itself... and I know I DO MISS THEM and THE TOWN ITSELF.

Remember the skills :) Keep it up! I wish you well!!

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Mosaic, thank you for posting that article. I thought I was the only one around here getting sad from the lack of sun.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 pm

mombo wrote:I lived up by seattle the last 10 years and felt myself get worse and worse with the gloomy weather. It seems that the last few years every month there was a record breaking amount of rainfall. Anti depressants didn't work. I started developing clostrophobia when it started getting dark I would get panicky. Last August we moved to Arizona and I am full of gratitude and happiness every day. I think this program would have helped me if I would have started it up there. I realize now how negative my thoughts and attitudes had gotten. I haven't been able to go back because of the panic but now with these new skills I think that I will be able to handle it.
Welcome to Arizona ! I like the sun, but can't handle the HEAT.
It was already 103 degrees the other day. . . say what :lol: .

Lynda