co- dependence and depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
tyler762

co- dependence and depression

Post by tyler762 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:50 pm

which session touches on the subject of co-dependence and depression???? Women especially i feel deal with this the most, by masking their depression and anxiety with a significant other.. i dont want to do that anymore..what session would help me with that???

bunny rabbit

Re: co- dependence and depression

Post by bunny rabbit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:24 pm

I have been in recovery for co-dependency for 20 years. I began in CODA, moved on to a hospital treatment program, attended Al-Anon for 14 years, attended Celebrate Recovery for 6 years, been in therapy for 30 years off and on, paid for healing retreats and art therapy, attended addictions group for relationship addictions which co-dependency has created for me, have started, left and begun this program again and am currently in a grief group to heal from the recent deaths of my sister, father and best friend. I even went on a 40 day journey into solitude in order to heal from my dependency on people. My mantra is "Go to the Throne and Not the Phone".

Listening to the program helps me recover from co-dependency with assertive skills, building my self-esteem, letting go of expectations of myself and others, encouraging self-caring behavior, recognizing what I need and want in relationships and life in general, reclaiming my voice and speaking up for myself and dealing with the emotional roller-coaster that co-dependency has created in my life.

Recovery is a process. Life is for growth and I am in for the long haul. Everything that I have done so far has helped me heal a little bit more from co-dependency and its' effects on my life.

Today I have no more one-sided friendships. My current friendships are healthy, mutual peer relationships for which I am so very thankful. I have learned when my heart was broken in 1000 pieces from grief, to take that mountain of pain to God and not depend or rely on people to support me. God brought people selectively and miraculously into my life to accompany me through my grief but I do not depend on them. My dependence is on God and Him alone. Only He can see the big picture and has the answers.

I realize I do not have the right to take on other's pain. Caring means listening, being a witness, asking questions perhaps in order to gain empathy, to pray for the person with sensitivity after really listening. I used to think it meant crying with people, feeling their pain, trying to walk in their shoes, carrying their pain, staying up at night thinking about them.

I am learning to pull my energy in and be truly self-caring and loving toward myself. Then I can give to others from the overflow. Hope this is a blessing to you. Bunny