Why cant I beat this

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Drksydeone

Why cant I beat this

Post by Drksydeone » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:10 am

I've probably dealt with anxiety and depression for over 20years off and on. Looking back I can remember having panic attacks that slipped into periods of depression. Ive been to therapy Ive been on perscription meds and all seem to work as well as Lucindas program.. I feel better, get back to living what I believe to be a normal life and soon find myself back on meds having panic attacks and depressed again. I even did the coaching program and that was wonderful, but here I am again. Its been probably two years since I came to this web site to tell my story. Anyway just started zoloft again but Im not going to beat myself up about it. If it helps use it. Just really struggling to see why I contiually fall back to old habits of negative thinking, poor self talk, scary thoughts, all of it. I read alot of success stories here and I would really like to have one of my own, instead of living in a constant state of fear. I wish I could tell you I lost my job, that I got divorced, or something that would explain why I slip. My life is going along just great and then suddenly I'm in it again. Could it be that my negative thinking of insignificant issues be the core of this condition with me. I travel alot, I work a pretty stressful job, but everytime I feel I'm doing the right things I find myself struggling to cope with any issues. Just want to be free of it, but feel Im keeping myself there.

Paisleegreen

Re: Why cant I beat this

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 pm

HiDrksydeone- Hey, I'm trying to figure things out myself. I do have a reason for part of my anxiety and still am trying to figure out the best route to take. I was on anti-depressants and weaned off of them, just to have my first panic attack. Which I've read after being on Xanax or other meds like that, one can experience a panic attack. I'm done going through "panic attacks" but not all anxiety and sad feelings in the morning to where I just want to and do cry.

I am not sure whether to go back on Wellbutrin or not as I don't care for the dry mouth side effect. It has bothered me enough that when I get up to speak in front of a group or see my OB/GYN I get cotton mouth. Not sure if nerves are a part of this or what, it is a known fact that anti depressants can give you a dry mouth.

Anyway, I'm with you on working on issues that cause my anxiety as well. P

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Ive had the same questions & heres the answer. It is a mental condition caused by chemical imbalance that gets better with meds & comes & goes thruout our lives. Its a biological condition of no fault of our own. Just like any other illness sometimes we need meds to get better. Im not talking about normal stress or people who have 1 or 2 panic attacks in their life time during truamatic times. Im talking about a life time of constant anxiety & depression that becomes debillitating to which it becomes hard to function.I knew there was something wrong with my brain but I thought it was my fault.Now I have excepted it as a mental illness & do not feel guilty taking meds to feel like normal people do.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Hey grandma loves arielle, you really have me some hope. I only started taking medication when I was beginning this program, and I think it's because I have a chemical imbalance. I know it sounds silly, but I'm afraid of the very far future, and not having a success story, and slipping into the woes of getting better and then getting worse and what if it's just a cycle that happens forever with me? It's hard to accept that it's not our fault, and that medications can help.

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi everyone,so glad I could help. I felt the same fears about struggling with this forever,it wasn't till I ACCEPTED it as a mental illness & stopped fighting it & took the meds that I stopped worrying & feeling guilty all the time.I am so happy & coping so well its like a miracle :D I wish I had learned this yrs. ago.We deserve to be well & happy & this is what works for me.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Hope you stick around on the website! There are so few people around nowadays and so many of us that need support.

CG822

Post by CG822 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I am right there with you!!! We should try to chat daily to help one another. Someone who goes through what I do and can understand me will help me ALOt!!!!

CG822

Post by CG822 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:39 pm

perspectivegirl wrote:Hope you stick around on the website! There are so few people around nowadays and so many of us that need support.

I COULDNT AGREE MORE!

OctoberKay

Post by OctoberKay » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am

I think I have dealt with low-grade anxiety and depression my entire life. As I go through the questionaire in this program I realize that the knots in my stomach and the saddness that I live with constantly, is not normal. Just like I have to wear glasses to adjust the way I see the world. I plan to use these skills to adjust the way I react, feel, and relate to my emotional world. I am not embarrassed to wear glasses and I will not be embarrassed to seek and use this help. Good for my fellow suffers who have sought help. It is nice to meet you. I look forward to learning and growing with all of you.

bunny rabbit

Post by bunny rabbit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't want to accept that I have a mental illness. I keep on working at the program, in therapy, believing that if I change my thoughts, my feelings with change which is what cognitive behavioural therapy is all about. Problem is if it was so easy, why can't I do it? Why can't I stay positive, balanced, calm and peaceful? Why am I always on a roller-coaster? I don't like the weight gain from the antidepressant I've been perscribed. Also I seem to build up a tolerance and need more and more milligrams. Maybe having this thorn in the flesh is a good thing for me, it sure keeps me humble. Bunny