feel like i am out of it and not myself

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
bob p

feel like i am out of it and not myself

Post by bob p » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 pm

for awhile now i feel as though i am just living and that stinks. i feel as though i am afraid to free myself from these depressive thoughts and be that strong man (father and husband). feel blah. can positive repacement thoughts even though they are tough to believe and excercise really do the trick. thanks for any help.

manofmusic

Re: feel like i am out of it and not myself

Post by manofmusic » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey Bob !

Eventually, the replacement thoughts will help. When I started out with them, I forced myself to think and say the new thoughts. I didn't believe it at all. After practicing the new thoughts, I actually started to believe them in time.

As sad as it sounds, the depressive state is like your comfort zone. If you keep thinking bad and depressive thoughts then when something bad does happen, it won't affect you much because you are already there !

One thing that helped me was exercise. Even going for a walk to clear my head eventually led to me feeling better. After a while I realized that I deserved to feel better. I was my own worst enemy !

....sound familiar ?

bob p

Post by bob p » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:06 pm

hey thanks alot manofmusic. definetely sounds oh too familiar!

manofmusic

Post by manofmusic » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Bob !

How are things going for you now ?

bob p

Post by bob p » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 am

hey whats up manofmusic. i am actually doing pretty good. have had a head chest cold and ear infection for last couple weeks which makes me feel depressed. i think when i do not feel just right i let my mind wonder and tell myself uh oh i do not feel like myself and i do not recognize myself and everything is so sensitive. i do feel like i am getting it a little more so now then ever before. i dont run as much. but the feeling depressed is a little scary. how are you doing. thnx for asking.

manofmusic

Post by manofmusic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey Bob !

I think that chest cold is making the rounds a lot this year.

I'm doing good. Mom's been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now and she's on the mend. The dr said that she should be home by next week. She said that there's no rush at all. She took care of dad for 7 years while he had empthysema and eventually lung cancer (he was a 2 pack a day smoker for almost 60 years.) Mom started to get a fluid build up in her lungs and my fear was that she had emphysema from second hand smoke. Luckily, that's not the case. The dr is giving her meds to clear the fluid. After that, she will be back to her home that she misses so much. Like most wives and mothers, someone else's health and well being came before hers. Now it's her turn to be waited on.

As for me, I'm doing very well. I have a good job, a good family and food in my fridge and my belly. LOL

bob p

Post by bob p » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:21 pm

i am glad your mom is doing better and you have a great way of looking at the good side of things. awsome. have a great weekend, it is supposed to be a beauty.