quarter life crisis

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
yellow80

quarter life crisis

Post by yellow80 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Okay so it is a real thing, called the quarter life crisis adults in their mid twenties and older feeling insignificant, comparing themselves to peers, have no job, money, significant other or children. I am in this boat, I know that I am highly creative, hard working, imaginative, driven, yet I get really depressed because I look all around me especially on facebook and compare myself to everyone.

I already have a bachelors degree but am not using it because it is so hard finding jobs in my field they want lots of experience and etc. I started a photography business recently which is going okay not making any money from it though. My dream has always been to be a fashion designer or merchandiser and actually studied it a little in college but due to finances I had to quit it, a piece of my heart says go after it and get another degree, but a piece of my brain says it is a waste of money and time.

I had a former professor told me that if I pursue another bachelors degree that I would be wasting my time and money, it was a huge let down when he told me this. I also am scared to compete with 18 year olds because I am now 27. I used to take such awesome big risks in life and loved my life but now my life is complacent, boring, cold, unemployed, jobless, loveless, you name it. I have no passion for anything really anymore. I applied to get into a premed program which I got into neuro psychology to become a psychiatrist but I worry a lot what other people will think if I go back to school now at my age etc.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Paisleegreen

Re: quarter life crisis

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Yellow 80--You're just a baby when you think of going to college. Many people don't even start until they are your age. Some people work at menial jobs and take one class a semester, so I wouldn't think at all that you are over the hill one iota! :)

I went back to college and got my B.S. degree when I was 33 and took 4 children with me. I was a Senior when I left college to get married and then start a family. My husband doesn't have a degree and started his own business 20 years ago after working at different jobs that wanted a person with a degree. He was even fired for because a famous company had new bosses with degrees and saw that he was one that didn't have one and was top salesman. The guy wanted the company to have degrees, that didn't make them better workers, they just had the sheep skin behind them.

Now a days, no job is really safe, no matter how many degrees you have. So it is good that you have your small business and also a college degree. You're young...so go for your dreams. It is easier to do it now, than when you are married. But even if you were married, you will gain great strength in character as you work for you goals, sacrificing for eachother. Paislee :)

MC Grace

Re: quarter life crisis

Post by MC Grace » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Yellow80,

Yeah, I can relate to what you have gone through. I also had my B.A. early (by 22). But then I and was disenchanted, disoriented, disgruntled, distressed and depressed, within a few years. Truth be told i was struggling with the yucky stuff all along. . . . it's just that school was a convenient distraction, of sorts.

Do you have the program? It taught me alot.

It's a great investment. I bought it several years ago. . . . Actually, I bought it twice (once when it was on cassettes, and again when it came out on CD). . . . Ha! I am dating myself, i guess

Anyway, I think there are great skills to be learned through this program. I found the structure really helpful.
If you're looking for another challenge: this is a good one.

Also, maybe take a non-credit/adult education course in photography, merchandising, or something that interests you. . . . You can add to and refine your skills, without spending a whole lot of money on a degree. Good luck!