Hi...I'm new and here's a little info about me

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
noble

Re: Hi...I'm new and here's a little info about me

Post by noble » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Thank you so much Paislee!! You must be a very nice person. I am hoping that things are going well with you too!! Are you doing the program now or have you been through it in the past and are affiliated with Stress Center? I am trying to do all of the "homework" but it is a little daunting while trying to do other things as well. However, I was all but shutting down before starting it and I am going to do this for me. Today, is a good day! Hope yours is as well.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu May 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Noble,
I've gone through the program once already, I only had the CDs, my sister lent them to me, but she kept the workbook. She hasn't gone through the program but definitely needs to. She is a whole different story, but I'm glad she put me on to Lucinda Bassett as I would never had come here if she hadn't of told me about her and then sent me the intro CD. When I told her I was going to order the program, she offered to lend me hers and we could have something in common to talk about.

I recently was able to buy the full program with the workbooks and videos and cards. So that was very helpful. I also had gone through Dr David Burns Feeling Good Workbook called 10 Steps to Self Esteem a year prior to hearing about Lucinda and it helped me to wean off of anti-depressants. I didn't experience my first panic attack until I was weaned off of the anti-depressants and then experienced an extremely stressful event, which brought on a lot of stress and anxiety. I'm also going through the Change, so hormones might have a part in this as well. At least that is what my Psychiatrist suggested.

Anyway, I've been off of anti-depressants for over 6 months now, but still have stressful moments dealing with family members I live with. I also see a Psychologist who is helping me work with my anxiety which he labeled as General Anxiety Disorder. It is a work in progress, but I'm doing much better than a year ago. So I still work through the program everyday, I'm always learning new things. :D Paislee :mrgreen:

noble

Post by noble » Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Sounds like you have had a long hard struggle but it also sounds like you are working hard at recovery and have made some progress. I am hopeful for you. Stick with it and have you tried bio-identical hormonal replacements?

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes, only the estrogen part, my OB/GYN won't write a prescription to get the progesterone compounded. I have the pill form but I'm not using it at this time. I didn't like how they made me feel but that was also almost 2 years ago and I was still on part of my anti-depressants and feeling really dizzy. So I didn't know what was causing the problems. Ugh...

Arlenez

Post by Arlenez » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Paislee is right about CBT. It is what has turned my life around :D

bunny rabbit

Post by bunny rabbit » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi - I've just started session 2 today. I have been part of a hospital program which has workshops on the same material, but of course going to a workshop doesn't give me the repetition and workbook etc that this program does so I am very happy to have this addition to what I am already doing. I think I have struggled with depression my entire life. I was born with a job handed to me of being responsible for a severely disabled sister who was 4 years older than me. Then I was a marriage counselor to my mother from 10 years of age onward. I had 4 addictions all at the same time to help me survive my teen years. I spent 17 years in a 12 step program, went to many, many therapists and to many inner healing retreats. I attended a day treatment hospital program and am now attending the Mood Disorder Clinic and belong to Celebrate Recovery, a 12 step program for people with hurts, habits and hang-ups. God has healed me from codependent rescuing, caretaking and sexual and emotional abuse. My disabled sister died of cancer 3 months ago and now my father is dying at 90 years of age. My mother is 92 and they are still in their own home, with it quickly becoming like a circus with a revolving door of people in and out to help with my dad. Do I ever need to relax and stay in the now!!!! At times it feels like I am drowning and then I turn the CD on and am focused once again on my breathing and into a beautiful forest with a waterfall. How lovely! Take me there. Ahhh!!!