Relief from Depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
birdelljerome

Relief from Depression

Post by birdelljerome » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Relief From Depression

Read Psalm 39:2 - 7. "So I remained utterly silent, not even saying anything good. But my anguish increased; my heart grew hot within me. While I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "Show me, LORD, my lifes end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure. "Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be. "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." What happened when David remained silent? And what was the result of his speaking up?

Like most emotional disorders, depression necessitates that the sufferer speak about his or her struggles. This act alone can begin to initiate healing. Approaching the Lord in fervent and sincere prayer is a safe way to release tension and psychological pain. Often more is needed, but it can be a good start.

A basic coping strategy for depression consists of talking to a friend (or a therapist) who knows how to listen and, even better, who knows how to help access more intensive resources, if needed. There is a healing effect in verbalizing thoughts and feelings. The church community can provide an excellent context to help the discouraged, but often this is insufficient, especially when professional care is required. Nevertheless, it is important for anyone going through hard times and who feels discouraged or even depressed to have someone they trust to talk to. Sometimes merely just talking to someone can go a long way in helping a person feel better.

Read Psalm 55:17. "Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice." What promise is there? Why should this promise mean so much to us?

The counselors appointment, if possible at all, may not be available until next week, but like David, who learned how to get help any hour of the day or any day of the week we, too, can turn to the Lord at any time. David knew that the Lord heard his voice, and that greatly encouraged him.

Even secular psychologists are recommending that clients who believe in prayer, pray. All of us, even when not suffering with something such as clinical depression, can experience the impact of how praying to the Lord does help make us feel better. No matter who we are or the depths of our discouragement, having a relationship with God can go a long way in bringing us hope and encouragement and healing. Though prayer doesnt always solve all our problems, how does it help us deal with them?

Paisleegreen

Re: Relief from Depression

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Prayer is exercising faith or hope in a new tomorrow or the help of someone that can help.

sjhoiuy

Re: Relief from Depression

Post by sjhoiuy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 pm

The problem with depression is that it drains your energy so try to feel good about what you can do.
-------------------------
Dunwoody GA Chiropractor