Depression or anxiety? How do you know?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Tehkummah

Post by Tehkummah » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:55 pm

I had Postpartum depression 14 years ago. I have been well since, but recently, after a significant set of stressors (job loss, marriage difficulties), I've had a relapse. My main symptom is anxiety and panic - afraid that I'm the only one in the history of mankind that won't get better.

I'm on Luvox, and have been given a Rx for Ativan which I refuse to take.

I'm so very tired of being scared of "going crazy" and exhausted from hiding it from people. I feel embarassed that I have this, and completely hopeless that I'll feel like this forever.

Words of wisdom anyone?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi :) :) :),
Going crazy is definitely NOT what you will do!!! I think that anxiety and panic attacks are caused from "pent" up emotions, and I think it is very healthy to let your emotions out!!!

You do not have a mental disorder!!! I found out the "hard" way, that there was really nothing at all wrong with me!!!

My way of thinking and looking at life was what had gotten me into trouble!!!

I use this little line often..Don't take yourself so seriously, since no-one else does!!!

You are going to be just fine!!! Just try your very best to "roll with the flow"...

We do these things to our very own selves, when we choose to think negative thoughts!!!

It takes quite a bit of practice, but we really can choose which thoughts we entertain daily!!!

Have a wonderful night's rest!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Think of what you now have as good resources to depend on.....think about the necessities of life. food, shelter, clothing, are your bills up to date. do you have good people to help you out around you, if things got really bad.
Here is an example....I got put into a wheelchair recently due to a severe muscle strain that took out my entire leg. I was dependent on MYSELF....I managed, although depression and anxiety hit me trifold I am still here. I know what to do now if I am disabled. I learned...I came out with more knowledge about my ability to care for myself without people. It was so tough but its an eye opener. Most people would crack under this type of pressure. I think this is where you have to draw the line. Depending on yourself as long as you are mentally able is key. The mind is strong and it will get you through your hardest of times. You have to work hard at it but its so worth it.....spiritually it empowers you as a different being on this planet too. Hope I helped a bit.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am so tired of this...I would rather battle a physical ailment than this. I have been reading Dr. Claire Weekes and finding it helpful as well. I think one of my biggest hurdles is ruminatiing over the fact that others go through life without having to suffer this. I envy them. I am painfully aware of the stigma attached to being depressed/anxious, and I have to find a way to get past that as well.

My greatest fear is of this becoming a life sentence.

T

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Tehkummah, Love that name...... No problem, as you can see many are suffering here and its quite a battle. I find that the little things never let up that get you down and out.
I have my pets here, They are such a comfort to me. I live in NJ. Near NYC. very congested and stressed out. I am looking to move from here and its a tough battle trying to find people who will take my cats. I have 4. I love them so much. creamcheesepuff

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm

To make everyone laugh here....my cat Smokey is sitting on my lap watching my mouse cursor...mmmm.....funny she wants to catch the mouse!!! LOL

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:45 am

I actually don't know if there is a difference between depression and anxiety. I have always heard that they go hand-in-hand.

I mostly have anxiety, and over the past couple of years I have barely had an issue with it. I have felt great, even though I have to take Cymbalta for it.

Yesterday I was driving home from work and I thought about my father who died a few years back, and WHAMMO~ I got hit with depression. I just started crying in the car and I couldn't stop. I thought it would pass, but later last night I was still feeling it, and then I started getting anxiety symptoms.

You know, I've dealt with the anxiety so much I know how to handle it, but not this depression stuff... I'll have to revisit the program.