Dealing With Depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Grandpa Doggie

Post by Grandpa Doggie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 am

Jack Spaleta, I too am a Viet Nam Vet, I do not however suffer with PTSD. You have guardian angels in this forum, they are the people who write in support of your suffering, their writings are blessings. I don't know where you stand with God & his son Jesus Christ, I
assure you they're a couple of good guys to have in your corner. PAISLEEGREEN wrote of guardian angels in regard to the loss of his son,
I sense he is a man of FAITH. FORGIVENESS is a powerful emotion, FORGIVE yourself not dying instead of your buddy, it was his time and not yours. Give thanks for all the blessings in your life, you'll have to step back and observe in order to see the blessings, but you
will see them for blessings are real. "where there is light there is no darkness" stay in the light Jack.

Merry CHRISTmas
CHRISTmas:the annual festival of Christ's birth celebrated on December 25th. Celebrate life, the present is a gift. The past is history and the future is a mystery, God Bless you all again and again and infinitely.
With Love, Grandpa Doggie.

Grandpa Doggie

Post by Grandpa Doggie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:21 am

FrvrNumb,
You are of very strong character, it showed in your closing words to Jack, kind and encouraging words despite your own burden.
Please don't ever think you should have been taken before someone else, it was their time and not yours, our time will come soon enough.
While still in this world I would encourage you to continue blessing others as you have blessed Jack and those of us who read your kind
words. We always get more than we give, the blessings come back to us.

Merry CHRISTmas.
Grandpa Doggie

FrvrNumb

Post by FrvrNumb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 am

Paisleegreen - thanks for the encouragement. It's probably not as bad as I made it sound. I am not super close with my Mother, but I do love her dearly. Parents, my not love 1 child more than the other, but it's quite possible to be closer to 1 more than the other. My Mother didn't choose to get along with my sister better, she just did. I did have alot of resentment growing up, but have learned to love the good things about our relationship and not focus on the past. One things for sure family dynamics are always complicated!
Jack - Hang in there! And try and remember, if the roles were reversed and it was you and not your friend, than it's quite probable your friend would feel as awful as you do and I don't think you would wish that upon him, just as I'm sure he wouldn't want you to feel bad now! You did an amazing thing when you fought for this country, start giving yourself credit for that instead of wanting to change the past. Hope that helps. BTW, I'm from Idaho
Grandpa Doggie - thanks so much for the kind words. I am very new to this program, but am already feeling better!

BABL

Post by BABL » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Jack - I thank you, too, for your service. You may want to google EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique. They have found tremendous success helping vets with PTSD. The procedure is very simple, yet produces profound results. I have used it in my life and it completely wiped out two childhood experiences that were traumatic for me. I believe that the VA is sponsoring some of these sessions - I do not know just where, but the progress is real and permanent. It is a privilege to be able to visit with you all on this site.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm

FoverNumb-Hey, I understand the family dynamics. I have a few siblings myself. :p :D I get the ones that were close and others are loved too. It also depends who came first and got the young parent w/o older siblings putting stress on them. I'm close to the tail end and I was able to see the dynamics of each sibling as a child. So I knew who was the better example for living as well.

That helped a lot, besides we all have our own personalities as you say that can get along w/ one parent better than the other.
I remember one time being compared to my older sister. We were going to go on a long trip across the US. I was 11 and my Mom would comment to me that my older sister was all packed up and ready to go when she was my age.

I'm thinking to myself, "So." What's the big deal. It wasn't even close to the time we were leaving on this trip. Plus I wasn't a "little mother" like my sister either. Geesh!:roll:

BABL--Wow, that's great you had great success with the EFT program. Thanks for sharing. :) Paislee

Jack Spaleta

Post by Jack Spaleta » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Grandpa doggie, I really appreciate your wonderful thoughts and words. It is conforting to know that you are not dealing with PTSD.
I am feeling better as I go through the program and also receivng all the support from the peer group. Bt the way Grandpa, where are you from and what is your real name? I live in Charlotte, NC and originally from Hoboken, NJ.
Jack Spaleta

HearsU

Post by HearsU » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 am

what if you discover
that what's bothering you is a place where you live???
I escape it as much as I can,
but I still have to go home at night.
I wish that the person that I live with would just try to be kind, and offer some better attitude and positive relationship. We have many challenges in our family, but like everyone we try to work as hard as we can.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 am

Boy, I hear you, HearsU! :) Yessirree, Bob, I'm doing the same things, working it out. I'm becoming more assertive and trying to be less affected by other members of the family's assertiveness, close to bullying, in my opinion. :roll:

Keeping the Faith

Post by Keeping the Faith » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 am

My depression DEFINITELY stemmed from anxiety. I have been horribly stressed lately, but always saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Now not so much. My therapist is gonna be amazed at how much I've declined in the last week.

I'm going to try to treat one of my "major" anxietie soon so hopefully that will lead me down a more stable path of recovery.