A great break through

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
FrvrNumb

Post by FrvrNumb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 am

Although I have many things in my life right now I could complain about, today I wanted to share a great break through I had a couple days ago. I've gotten some great advice from people here and it's important to me I don't just take from this group, but also give back. So here goes...
My husband took me to dinner the other night to celebrate a great break through in my future. We met some friends we hadn't seen in a while and had a really good time! The day was perfect! And then it happened! At the end of our dinner we stayed and had a glass of wine and the conversation came up about a mutual friend. I believe on accident, my friend made mention of a really mean comment this mutual friend had made about me and I was very upset! I swept my feelings under the rug and we said our good bye's. But I was stewing underneath and as soon as we got in the car I started in to my husband about it! The comment was so stupid and menial and only showed his ignorance to this situation so my husband couldn't figure out why I cared so much. Although my husband tries hard, he is such an optimistic person, he sometimes doesn't understand why it's so hard for me to always be the same. That stupid comment I heard second hand is all I thought about the whole drive home! And then it hit me! Advice I've heard a million times in my life about not caring what others think and so on, somehow finally clicked! As I worked through my feelings of angry and hurt I came to a conclusion that allowed me to shake off such a stupid thing that was now ruining a perfect day! It's called compassion...I adore this person that made the mean comment about me and that's why it hurt. But at the same time, I know I have made mean comments about him to my husband that would probably hurt his feelings too! He's only human and I know he didn't really mean it, he was probably only venting or maybe even just caught up in the moment! And if he knew I had heard about it he would probably feel bad. It really had nothing to do with me, it was his problem and it really could have been anyone he said something about that day! This allowed me to not only let it roll off, but actually have compassion for him. He is my friend and I owe that to him to be forgiving, especially over something so stupid!

I sometimes have a hard time hearing what I'm suppose to do in situations like this and battling with the pettiness of my own mind. The way I worked through it in my head really allowed me to not take it personal. Something I always struggle with. I could have allowed this to ruin my whole night, but it didn't and for that I'm grateful. I hope someone else finds this story helpful! Have a great day everyone!

‎"We take greater pains to persuade others we are happy than in trying to think so ourselves."
Confucius

Lisa Hammonds

Post by Lisa Hammonds » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 am

Awesome news....Its a good thing to feel we are getting stronger...and even better when we can share and maybe help someone else along the way..Thanks for a new perspective on anger this will help me greatly...Way To Go...