Depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
jennyrh

Post by jennyrh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I am here for depression also. I am a stay-at-home mom of 2 and each day gets a little harder to deal with my kiddos. I am also in the mist of buying a new house and that just adds to the depression for me. When I get depressed, I just shut down and do nothing! I am glad that I am not the only one!

Learning to move forward

Post by Learning to move forward » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 pm

I can also relate to the depression. I do believe that the depression comes from the anxiety of thinking too much. This thinking is more times than not negative and counter productive. You can think yourself right into staying in the bed all day with the covers over your head. That's how I've dealt with it at times. I've suffered with depression for a long time. I was also hospitalized in 2007. Too much stuff happening in my life all of which was unpleasant. None of which I was prepared for. Part of the cause of my depressive episodes was beating myself up. If I made a mistake I beat myself for a week or two. I had unrealistic expectations of what I could and could not do. I do believe wholeheartedly that if you really want to beat this thing you have to put a lot of effort into internalizing your good. Be compassionate and patient with yourself. I find that affirmations help. Just reading them. Placing them around the house and reading uplifting information. Looking at beautiful pictures of tropical islands or waterfalls or mountains also helps. I find journaling helps get those bad feelings out of you. Listening to upbeat music and watching comedies also helps to get you out of your head.

Rosalie Larsen

Post by Rosalie Larsen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

I can relate to all of the above. I cannot motivate myself to do anything. I have a lovely home and I used to love to keep it up and now I don't even seem to care about anything. Thinking too much is 99.9% of my problem and lately I find myself hating to awaken to a new day. I am 74 and last June I had to put my little dog down. I had had him for over 13 years and it broke my heart. Things seem to have gotten worse since then. I have physical limitations that I may never overcome.

I purchased this program in 2008 and can't even
motivate myself to get going.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi Rosalie--I'm sorry about you having to put down your little dog. I had to do that when mine was 9 years old. He got injured and became septic. It was very hard to let him go. I have a nice home too, and large property that I'm finding that I just won't be able to maintain by myself as well. Although, I love to do the yard work, I can tell that I just can't do what I use to as well.

Are you all by yourself? Paislee