Low Self Esteem

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Island_Girl

Post by Island_Girl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I wonder…
Is it normal to go through life being depressed about yourself? To not like yourself, the way you look, and even the things you do and say?
I know that this is not normal…
But how do I fix it? I hide my face in shame because I don't feel pretty. I stay at home all day, every day.

Surprisingly, I have a boyfriend. I think my boyfriend is simply perfect. I don't feel good enough for him. I feel like he can do better than me. Why me? Why be with an anxious, nervous wreck? He can have girls who are prettier, smarter, and more outgoing than me. It feels too good to be true. Will it last?

Will I ever like myself? Or consider myself to be pretty? Ugh! Sometimes I HATE myself. Am I crazy? Will I EVER be happy?

k in the light

Post by k in the light » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:31 am

I would suggest you start to find your identity from the One who made you--try this book--Character Makeover--it deals with self-esteem, self-confidence, and many other issues. Try to laugh at yourself more; embrace good things people say about you, instead of dismissing them; find your worth from your Creator--look at what God says about you in the Bible. Others will always let us down at some point, in some capacity--have you ever been everything to someone--you cannot be; you will fail. God does not fail, does not lie, does not pander to pity parties we sometime throw for ourselves, but takes up by the chin, looks deep into our eyes and hearts and loves who He sees--He recognizes the good and creative people we are--and even loves the bad parts. He accepts all of us exactly the way we are.

h.beth

Post by h.beth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 am

i'm sorry island girl...been there. lesson 3 in midwests program is the key to getting over this negative thinking sweetie. take one of those negative thoughts at a time and journal it...right away get to work on turning that single thought around to something more soothing and positive. i have met many people who are not pretty in the common sense, and have gone on to lead positive lives, cute adoring bfs and made successes of themselves working-college degrees. they are wonderful to be around....talented musicians for instance....kind FUN...intelligent conversationists, clean, etc. anywho...back to you=take current negative ythought you think or say, journal it, as i said-GET BUSY turning it around to something better and more true. continue this with each downer thought, ONE at a time do this homework. in time you will find a 'theme', and it will be easier to 'blanket' come back in your journal to something better and soothing. yes it is alot of work...but it works in time island...believe me...because i KNOW. stick with homework of this program, carve out homework/listening time as many days a week as you can. and YES it is possible to turn your negativity around with homework and much practicing.

SmilesandWink

Post by SmilesandWink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 am

Well said, K in the Light, I'd like to suggest another book, any readings from SARK. She has a free inspiration line too, that is a pick me up whenever we are down with ourselves.

Depression has stages and it is our job to recognize ourselves. You are doing that. Your new job is to make the negatives turn into positives. Try not to assume what others may feel or see in you, instead see the good inside you and see outside yourself the good around you. Have compassion for yourself and appreciation of others.

I use the simple words, "I am...., filling the blanks with only positives when I am feeling down. It is work and practice with any changes takes time. Start with now, moment to moment...I am....and see the differences begin magically. You will smile more, eventually shine inside yourself and outside yourself. Then when that day comes, you too will recognize what your boyfriend already sees. So will many others. Smiles.