Light Box For SAD

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Has anyone used a light box for SAD. I was looking to buy a 10,000 LUX one on EBAY for $45. I have been depressed lately and thought this might help.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Go for it! That's good price! Now a suggestion to think about. You can get DR OTT's lamp for around $75.00 or less, which is useful in many applications, practical uses just a thought. I have at least 4 different OTT Lamps.

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 am

Thanks Paisleegreen. I will let you know if this works once it gets here in a few days. What is the difference between the OTT lamps or a light box? I was reading up on the light therapy and it said you need at least 10,000 LUX for it to be effective.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:57 am

The OTT lamp has the full spectrum of the sun, so it helps with S.A.D. It has helped me. I also will sit in front of a sunny window and read or do other things to get that light reflected into my eyes. I guess it all depends on how depressed one gets without sunlight.

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:24 am

I have noticed that yesterday and today it was totally sunny out here and I felt a lot less depressed. The times I go through my depession is always in the winter. I traveled to Alaska years back and was there one time when the sun never set and the other time when it was dark all day. The people there really seem different when there is no sun opposed to being sunny all the time.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am

I know I'm a different person when there is sunlight. I grew up in a warm state and went away to college in a cold one. Definitely suffered due to the lack of sunshine and lifestyle that goes with sunshine. I learned from my experiences and adjust accordingly the best I can.

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I have lived in this cold climate my whole life. I don't want to move so I will just have to try different things to feel less depressed.