depression relapse

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Back in September of 2010 I fell in to a deep depression. I just broke down and started crying unbearably. I went to the doctor and he said that I relapsed in to my depression. I had taken antidepressants off and on for years and was always able to pull through and then get off them and do ok. the doctor says that because I probalbly have a chemical inbalance that I'll do ok for ahwile with out meds but then I drop into a depression again. This is the one of the worst if not the worst deppression Iv'e ever had and worse the antidepressants that worked before have caused mega side effects that I never had before so Ive had to stop these. Can anyone relate to relapseing depression that comes back after awhile? Ive' been off meds for about 3 years but now seem to need them again it seems. Relapsed depression???

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 am

Hi Johnny77,
I've never tried any anti-depressant meds so I don't know what to tell you about that. I have experienced relapsed depression. I've experienced it many of times over the years. For me, its usually circumstantial. A chain of events that get me going into a downward spiral. After a certain point, I became use to the sad feelings and its as if I involuntarily indulged in sad negative thoughts. After it gets to a certain point, it becomes all too familiar almost like a comfort zone and that makes getting out even harder. If you've just started the relapse, I would get right back on the program from the start, if you must. Do anything within your power to try to stop it from getting worse.
Can you remember what helped you before? Did something trigger it this time? Change in diet, surroundings, events? It always helps me to find the source and go from there. But most importantly, I have to remind myself that it takes time and patience. Do what you can when you can without putting too much pressure on yourself. That's what I do.
I hope you start feeling better soon.

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for your responce. I have reflected back to all the years that I had deppressive bouts and they have all for the most part been circumstantial like yours. This time it was due to the fact that I'm just uncontent with my life. Ive been divorced for some years know and have children. I live alone half the time.

I have been doing pretty well for a few years but then started to grow uncontent with my life and started getting really lonley.

I fell into a major deppression after my divorce and this was the worst thing I ever experianced.

I started taking antideppressents got therapy and made goals for my life. after ahwile I was doing very well and was very happy. I got my life together, got joint custody of my kids and started a new job that was just perfect for me. After ahwile I was able to stop my meds and did good without them even when things got rough.

Now a few years later back in september I broke down and now am in the worst deppression since the divorce.

The trigger I belive was the circumstance is being tired of my living situation. Being alone with no wife and not having my kids everyday. So basically lonley and missing my kids when they are gone. There are other things too but that seems to be whats on my mind the most. Usually I was able to pull togehter and get over it quickly but know it's really hard. Like the doctor said, chemical imbalance? Maybe this is why it's so hard to snap out of it?

cj20520

Post by cj20520 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:23 am

I am just wondering why you went off the mess if you were feeling good while you were on them? I too have an imbalance and will have to take meds for the rest of my life for anxiety. I only hope that this program will allow me to take a minimal amount. Either way, I know I don't want to feel anxious and depressed so I will take the meds.

By the way, I refused to take any meds for years. I am glad I finally tried them.

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:50 pm

johnny77, I can see how your situation can drive you into a bad case of depression. I too have experienced a chain of stressful and heart breaking events. Almost a year ago my family and I had to uproot our lives and move to another state to temporarily live with a friend until we found a home. A couple months turned into a year and within that time my father in law, who we love dearly, died overseas. When we went there to be with him while he was still alive, I got sick and ended up in the ER where they almost didn't give me treatment. I laid down the hall from my father in law. It was a very very sad and stressful experience. There were several other things that occurred over the year that just added to the stress, depression and anxiety. But that's the way my year went - one thing after another. But it has been a year since the worst of it. I realized that all of that sadness and fear is expected to linger. It takes time to heal and it takes time to recover. Inch by inch and minute by minute things will get better. We have to try to do what we can to help ourselves and when we need it, it helps to have communities like this for comfort and support and of course doing the program.

If you're anything like me, you'll grieve, you'll be scared, you'll feel depressed and you'll have good days and bad. But just keep trying for more good days.

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:44 pm

reply cj20520.The reason I went off the meds is because I never needed them on a long term basis before. I would just use them when I was facing a real tough time in my life and after about 6months or so I was always able to get off. I would use them temporarley. This was for deppression. After going throught program I never needed anti anxiety meds again. For 10 years I didnt need them. However because it seems that I keep falling into a deppression every couple years or so it appears I may just have the chemical imbalance and may just need them from now on. However, I have been on two antideppressents since september and have had real bad side effects from both. These are meds Ive taken before and they worked before now they cause more trouble. Ive never experianced this from the meds before. Now a psychiatrist started me on a bi-polar med? Well, we'll see. Thanks for your response.

reply mskye:I'm really sorry for what youve been through. Those are good reasons to get deppressed. You are right, one day at a time and we just have to hang in there do what we can to live in the world with our scars. We can live with scars, they are just reminders of what happened but it won't kill us. I'm Christian and the lord has gotten me through the toughest times in my life and I know he will do so again for me now. Thank you for your responce. It's nice to have this online support.

Goober25

Post by Goober25 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Johnny,

In 2008 I went through a severe case of clinical depression. Just as you described how you are feeling right now, my experience was horrifying and crippling. It took me almost a year to "come out of it" and I still consider myself to be in recovery. Since May of 2009 I have had at least 2 or 3 relapses. As I type right now, I fear I may be on the brink of one.

So first off, please know you aren't alone. Second of all, be proud of yourself for recognizing the symptoms and reaching out. Many people can't even get that far. Third of all, I am sorry you are experiencing this again. Perhaps you need to talk to your doctor about the anti-depressants but you need to stay on them. The reason you were starting to feel better is because they were working. I did the same thing a few years ago - was on meds for a few months, felt better - wanted to stop taking them. However, since 2008 I have been on Zoloft and although I sometimes forget to take them every day, I will not go off of them until my psychiatrist advises me to do so because I believe they have helped me get to where I am today.

Although I have relapsed while on the medication, I made sure I was on contact with my therapist and doctor so that I was always being monitored and adjustments could be made if need be. In the event of my first relapse, I was put on an additional medication that I took with my zoloft. So alternatives are out there - it just takes time to find out what will help balance the imbalance.

Please keep in touch on here so I know you are ok. Try cutting out the caffeine, drink more water and juice, try going out for walks, watching something funny and make sure you're around people even though you don't want to be. Perhaps you can try a yoga class or just practice some deep breathing. Please hang in there. This will pass even though that seems impossible. You came out of it once before and you will again.

With compassion,
Goober

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Dear Johnny77:

I have to admit that I agree with cj20520.

I have been on psychiatric medications since 2007. I have never tried to take myself off of the medications. When I first visted my first psychiatrist we tried multiple combinations of medications that might work for me. When we found what worked for me, we stayed with that and I have been on those medications since then. Even though some medications have side effects, for me the advantages of the medications outweigh the disadvantages. I am not saying that meds are for everyone, but they saved my life and I am not afraid to say that I take them and I am going to continue to take them. Before the meds I had a complete breakdown and was hospitalized. I was always visiting the Emergency Room. Honestly, I had no clue to what was going on and nobody was helping me to figure that out. I have been functioning okay since then, although no life is perfect in any way ( we all have our ups and downs, that is completely normal ).

I also agree with Goodber25 in his last paragraph. Cut down the caffeine and sugar. Go outside and feel the sunshine. Exercise. Talk to people even if you don't feel comfortable at first doing that. Laugh outloud at a funny television show. Work on the Program, it works.

If you are having a tough time, please go to see a doctor to work it out between you and him / her. See a psychiatrist or a psychologist, they are professionals and they can possibly get you going in the right direction so that you can start and / or continue to help yourself.

We, on this website, are here as your friends and to offer you support, but we are not medical professionals and cannot offer medical advice. Keep in touch and keep writing.
You are important and intelligent and caring.

Lynda Lu

johnny77

Re: depression relapse

Post by johnny77 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello everyone, it's been a little while since my last post. So here's the update. My Psychiatrist took me off my antideppressent (prozac) because of how it was affect me. He thinks I have borderline bi-polar disorder wich is why i have hi's and lows. Basically I start to feel better and then I just spiral down. He started me on a medicine called Lamictal for bi-polar disorder. I'm not sure yet if this med is working or not but being off the antideppressent I have started to see moderate improvements in my deppressive cycles as people with bi-polar (if thats what I have) can have worsening deppressive symptoms taking anti-deppressents. So overall I have had some hope, at least untill the last couple days. I started to feel somewhat better and then the deppressive started up again. Is it the meds? The chemical imbalance? Or just my usuall life circumstances that drag me down? Or all of them? Only God knows. Well it's all a guessing game for my doctor and playing with meds.

Well, I wont give up and I hope you all are doing ok, for those of you who have replied in the past, Msky, and CJO.
Your'e replies are helpfull and comforting. Hope to hear a reply post form you all soon. :) :)

tommy_riley

Re: depression relapse

Post by tommy_riley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm

This whole idea of us having to do trail-and-error with various anti-anxiety anti-depression medications is so messed up. I feel like I monkey on a string sometimes with all the changes in meds - so far there has been no one or two medications that have truely helped me, which didn't come with side effects that negated the positive results I was starting to see.

Hopefully this time will be different - I am trying to be patient with Welbutrin and BuSpar - would rather not be on either as I fear that the sexual side effects I have had with past medications may be present in these meds as well. And having sexual side effects is such a confidence killer for me!

I hope the best for you and that you can find balance with the meds you are taking. Seems like also a doctor should be either really able to diagnose you with bi-polar disorder or not - suspecting you "might" have bi-polar disorder seems a little fishy to me.