My Parents and my Birthday

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
MrCleveland

Post by MrCleveland » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:35 am

This week, I had my Birthday. My parents usually ask me what I want to eat on my Birthday. But this year...my parents can't give me my birthday dinner so I have to have Roast Beef instead!

And I can't even face my parents now, they duped me this year and last year and they're VERY depressed and have nowhere to turn to. They STILL wanted to have a dinner anyhow so I just said "Fine, Go Ahead, have it though it's not what I wanted".

It seems that what my parents want...they get. But what I want (like going places) I'll have to do myself!

Here's to another lousy Birthday! :mad:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Ah...I'm sorry your birthday wasn't as pleasant or Happy as you had hoped. Sometimes parents are like that. How old are they?

MrCleveland

Post by MrCleveland » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am

My mom is 54 and my dad is 53.

I have to face my parents again today, because my dad needs me to put stuff on craigslist and he insisted upon me doing this because since I'm family, I have to help out and it's his business which didn't make any business this year. I was never involved with it until now, it seems that what my dad wants...my dad gets and what I want I have to get myself!

Life's TOO unfair! :mad:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 am

Do you live at home or do you have to go over to their house to put the things on Craigslist?

MrCleveland

Post by MrCleveland » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally posted by Paisleegreen:
Do you live at home or do you have to go over to their house to put the things on Craigslist?
I went to their place.

Their house is just too depressing. :(

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Mr Cleveland--so are you around your late 20's or early 30's?

I know my son has helped me out with the computer because he knows computers very well. So it is easier for us parents in our 50's to have some help in this computer day and age. It is harder to learn new things unless we are working with computers on a regular basis.

Are you the only child?

dazyrose

Post by dazyrose » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:41 am

Hi Mr Cleveland, I am sorry for your disappointments with your parents and your feelings of taking whatever is handed to you.We parents can be and are not what our children would always like.Can I just say,'we don't have handbooks' on parenting and this is the most difficult job there is in life besides marraige, to me.I am 57 and have no contact with either my son of 24 or daughter of 28.We made plenty mistakes with our children however, they are old enough now to make their own choices and need to be resposible for the choices they make.These choices are not what we taught our children as they grew up in our home.I do believe we did do some things right and gave them some tools in life that are the right ones to live by.As they know them they are refusing to live by them.These tools were not just our tools but tools of life.We did try to prepare them as much as possible.We were not the perfect parents.I would like to meet those perfect parents.No matter what mistakes we made while they lived at home,we loved them with all of our heart.We gave them opportunities as much as possible within our capacity.My dad was abusive,and my mom-detached.My childhood was not pleasant.I too, had to go the 'school of hard knocks.'We have not heard from our daughter in 3 yrs. this second time around.The first time,was 5 yrs. before we heard or even knew where she was.Our son is basically plyaing Russian Roulette with his life and we had to disconnect with him.All that he is doing was taking me out,emotionally,physically,mentally,and spiritually.We played his games by his rules as we thought we were doing the right thing.However,this was doing us no good nor our son.We still love our adult children and would be there to support them when and if they are willing and wanting to make some changes.In short,I grieve over the mistakes we or I made with my childern as maybe your parents do or will.Sad to say,there is no perfect family--parents and children here on earth.This is a fallacy.It is a good thing you are in this program as I am sure you will be greatly helped and find healing as we all are looking for.Stay with the program.Remember,expect less and get more as Lucinda instructs.This will take the pressure off of you to have your high expectations that your parents are not able to meet and you will be pleasently surprised when you when you see what comes out of this.You have your parents there,eventhough,it doesn't meet to your expectaions and you have dissapoinments,enjoy what you can have with them.It isn't that they don't love or care for you, they are doing the best they can with what they have as you yourself may find when you become a parent.We wish as parents that we could take all the pain away but that is impossible.That is how we ourselves learn and for the better.I do wish you the best.It could be that when your parents see your healing a dominoe effect may happen.Who knows? Keep doing what you are doing--one foot in front of the other and one breath after the other.Hears to your life of healing.I hope this give you a different perspective and help. You are getting better with each day.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 am

dazyrose--Thanks for your posting. I'm sorry that you aren't able to do things with your adult children right now. It must be very hard. You're right, we don't come with a handbook, only our own experiences blended with the experiences of our spouse. Parenting is not for the faint in heart, that's for sure. It really does test our character, hopefully, our children can rise above any inadequacies we might lack.

Lindamovingforward

Post by Lindamovingforward » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:14 am

Dear Mr. Cleveland,
One of the hardest lessons for most of us is to realize that our parents are not perfect, and have their own set of fears and hang ups.
Something that has helped me a great deal is to imagine my parents as customers at my job.
When a customer asks for something unreasonable, it is usually easier to set a boundry, say no, or schedule it for a more convienient time.
a little detachment helps.
Hope this is helpful to you- hope you have a happy thanksgiving

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:09 am

Linda, that is a very good answer. I have had to learn things after my parents have passed on. But it is helpful learning these things now that I'm a parent of adult children and a Grandmother as well.