Has anyone ad trauma therapy as opposed to regular CBT?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Paula+1

Post by Paula+1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 am

I've had numerous therapists over the years mainly doing CBT. I gave up on them a I was just getting worse. I found a new therapist who specializes in trauma therapy and I'm wondering what is the difference from regular therapy? If you have had trauma therapy, please share if it was better than CBT, what made it different? TIA!

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm

I can't imagine what a trauma therapist would do, but I would think would have to be highly specialized and sensitive to the patient.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Paula+1, I have been looking into EMDR therapy, stands for "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing". This is mainly used for trauma, like for returning soldiers with Post-traumatic stress disorder. Google it as EMDR therapy. I haven't tried it because I can't afford it yet, but I did find a practitioner in town. I was told it is approved by most insurance, Medicare pays 50%, the practitioner must be a "licensed clinical psychologist" (LCSW). I had a very traumatic 10 years of my life and am still stuck in that mode! Read about it, EMDR, very interesting. Good luck. If you get to try it, please let us know how it works?

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Dear Paula+1:

I have never heard of trauma therapy. I have gone to three psychologists and they did nothing for me at all.

The first psychologist I saw gave me no feedback whatsoever.

The next psychologist I saw several times,but we had no specific agenda (and my insurance limited the amount of visits I could make to a psychologist, so I could not see her as frequently as I needed to.)
THIS psychologist did the thing I hate the most, at the VERY beginning of one of our sessions she actually answered a call on her cell phone ! I quit seeing THAT psychologist right away. That is so unprofessional to take a phone call during a session, I almost didn't believe what she was doing !

My third psychologist was yawning (plural, meaning more than ONE yawn) during our first session and I found THAT very unprofessional too.

At the time I was seeing these psychologists my insurance was limiting me on the number of visits, which didn't help me at all, I was recovering from a complete breakdown and seeing bad doctors.

Thank goodness I have a great psychiatrist, without him I wouldn't have made it this far.

Whatever you do, don't do ECT. That is very dangerous and is usually only used as a "last resort" for severely depressed patients.

Ask your doctor a lot of questions, don't be afraid to ask a question even if it may make you uncomfortable.

Keep us updated on your therapy, we are here for you.

Lynda

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 am

Good morning All, :)

Have "posted" a response on October 21, 2010, and October 25, 2010, respectively with respect to a special forum for those of us suffering with depression. There have been a few responses illicited, however, would appreciate positive feedback. Healing is crucial.

Am ever cognizant that many of us live in different time zones. Yet, if we embrace change we will allocate the time. What do you think?

Please consider a form whereby we could chat in the help room, access another site to discuss our issues, or even have group sessions via cell or land line. This gal is open to any suggestions. So wish to improve the quality of my life....stop the needless worry which is suffocating and stagnates creativity. Oh, the what if's!!

Welcome all responses.

Peace, love, eternal hope, & joy,
Philosophy

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 am

I believe that LCSW stands for Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I don't believe they have the same skills as a Psychologist which has a Ph.D. But I could be wrong...

I've had a Psychiatrist yawn and all asleep while listening to me and a Psychologist. The first one did retire and the other one was great, took a Sabbatical and then came back and my first visit back with him he was yawning and falling asleep. I just think they are getting too old. Or have too many patients.