New here but not to Depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:26 am

Hi MsKye--I'm weaning off of the Remeron I'm taking and hopefully will not go on any other type of anti-depressant. I went on Zoloft as the first one when I wasn't able to "get myself out of bed" and my legs started to have spasms.

I was under a lot of stress at the time and had many responsibilities. I didn't have a place like this to go to and my husband was gone a lot starting a new business and I was running a daycare out of my home. Anyway, at that time, I really felt I was in a deep, dark hole, and was very depressed. And pretty much didn't care to live anymore. But I wanted to so that I could raise my 5 children and be a comfort to my husband. That was my prayer...

Anyway, I made an appt to see a Dr and he asked me what was happening at home, when he couldn't find anything wrong with me. I burst into tears...he asked me if I knew any Therapists, I said, "Yes." since I use to work at a Psych Hospital. That's when I went to my first Psychiatrist and he put me on Zoloft.

It helped, but made me very mellow that I didn't even care if my 3 little sons were arguing in the next bedroom. So the Dr changed my prescription to something different.

Anyway, I had functioned fine without meds for most of my life, until I had was worn down from overdoing it and my father was putting a lot of mental stress on me at the time as well. It took me awhile to figure out that my body had enough of all the stresses I had endured and expectations of others.

I stopped the Daycare and the meds helped me to cope, besides some talk therapy. But now my children are grown, my parents have passed on, my kids are raised, except on is left at home and life if different for me.

I did go off of my anti-depressants gradually between a 2 year period, then was off completely, then I experienced my first panic attack which brings me here.

If you can deal with things w/o anti-depressants, then that would be great and I'm all for that. And that is why I'm weaning off the Remeron and working Lucinda's program as well as therapy. I only went on anti-depressants when I didn't feel like living anymore.

So that is the question...that people need to ask themselves. Which I don't see that you are at that state of mind. And I wasn't at that state of mind when I was put on Remeron, some young Physician Assistant felt I needed to go on it along with Beta Blockers to take care of my panic attacks and/or anxiety.

I was just experiencing hormonal changes along with lifestyle changes brought on by family conflict that caused my first panic attack. This was all a new feeling for me and I hadn't been on the anti-depressants I had been on for years that had smooth out these changes in lifestyle. They no longer were desirable to take with their side effects.

So I am now here working with my new found anxiety without the anti-depressants I'm use to. And so far, I'm doing okay. Sometimes things would be much easier if I were on them. But then I wouldn't address the problems that brought on the depression in the first place.
And that is really what needs to be done in my case, is finding out what is really troubling me.

Does this make any sense to you? :) Paislee

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Paislee, you make perfect sense. I thought that's what you meant in your last post but I just wanted to make sure.
I'm happy for you that you're weaning yourself off of the meds. I'm sorry that you're having anxiety attacks though.
I understand what you mean by trying to find out what is really troubling you. I'm in that same boat except I have a lot of things that have been troubling me over the past year and I know what they are but I couldn't/can't really do anything about them - sickness, death, disappointments... I've had my moments where I feel like life is pointless and I almost feel bored with it as if there's nothing here for me. I haven't contemplated suicide in a long long time though. My husband and daughter keep me from going there. I may lay around all day but I remind myself that I might and probably will get through it and not to give up. As for the anxiety, I'm finding that anxiety explains certain feelings and experiences I've been having. Its really scary when I've been having these horrible experiences and had no idea what it is. But at least we are here being taught to see it for what it is and work through it. And of course, we're not alone. That's already proved to be helpful for me.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:39 am

Hi MsKye--Yes, I understand what you are talking about, those feelings are not fun at all. I am learning now what feelings are anxiety or are they just withdrawal symptoms of being on anti-depressants for so long. Either way, I guess I'm treating them the same way. Today, I'm not feeling too good, I feel like I have a cold. Which I am probably passed due on getting one.

But I also took vitamins yesterday, which I haven't been taking regularly. So maybe too much of vitamin C, B-complex and fish oil all at the same time. Not anything extra, just haven't been on any regularly. Or I'm just plain tired w/ a cold.
I think I'll go rest some more. Take Care. :) Paislee

Lisa Hammonds

Post by Lisa Hammonds » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 am

Originally posted by Paisleegreen:
Hi MsKye--Yes, I understand what you are talking about, those feelings are not fun at all. I am learning now what feelings are anxiety or are they just withdrawal symptoms of being on anti-depressants for so long. Either way, I guess I'm treating them the same way. Today, I'm not feeling too good, I feel like I have a cold. Which I am probably passed due on getting one.

But I also took vitamins yesterday, which I haven't been taking regularly. So maybe too much of vitamin C, B-complex and fish oil all at the same time. Not anything extra, just haven't been on any regularly. Or I'm just plain tired w/ a cold.

Lisa Hammonds

Post by Lisa Hammonds » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:49 am

Originally posted by Lisa Hammonds:
Originally posted by Paisleegreen:

Oops!!! Trying to learn how to do this chat thingy....kinda new at this...sorries!!! I hope you feel better soon...look forward to reading your comments..Lisa..

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:42 am

Paislee, sounds like your getting sick. Its good to take vitamins so long as they are a good kind. Those in particular shouldn't make you feel down. But it is pointless if its not a good vitamin. One way I was told to check is to drop a supplement in a glass of water. If it doesn't dissolve within 45 minutes (I think), then its likely that you're body can't absorb it either. I find whole food supplements the best. I like Rainbow Lite products personally. My problem is that I often forget to take mine.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. Rest, rest and more rest. And water! Also, I personally like green tea with lemon when I'm sick. I read that it has tons of health benefits including anti-viral and it helps to perk me up too.

Feel better soon.