Thinking thoughts like "I'd be better off dead"

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Geneva1968

Post by Geneva1968 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:59 pm

I am seeing a doctor and a threapist and I am a member of AA so I have support. However, I sometimes have intrusive thoughts like "I'd be better off dead". What do you do when thoughts like this occur?

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 am

Those thoughts have entered my mind at times. For me, I have a daughter and a husband who keep me somewhat grounded. When those thoughts strike, I go through a terrible numb-to-happiness mopey period. At the time, I feel like there's nothing I can do to get out of it, so I wait. I try to be patient and I wait for it to pass. I also try to expose myself to things that encourage positive thinking like music, an inspiring movie, a good book or good people. Also, I am currently using the self talk from disc 3 of the program. Just like a negative thought can fester in our minds, if we give an effective positive thought, that too will fester and grow. What moves you? What do you love? What inspires you? And is there someone you can go to help turn your negative thoughts into positive? Or go on youtube and watch blooper videos or rent a good stand up comedian. Those things might not sound like they'll help but we just need to plant one tiny little seed.
I hope this helps.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 am

Those are great ideas, MsKye! :D

MsKye

Post by MsKye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks Paislee.

SoWhatif

Post by SoWhatif » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:05 am

What do you do when thoughts like this occur?
I pray or meditate for guidence and strength and then push myself to get the crap out of my life and do my best to help someone else that is in much more angquish.
Please do not give self pity a handhold. Get up get out and do something to help another.

If we are not thinking of "self" then those thoughts will not appear. You go girl for seeing the difference, now make it so Geneva.
Bless ya in your mission.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Good thoughts, SoWhatif! :) P.

Geneva1968

Post by Geneva1968 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks to everyone! I feel very grateful to all of these helpful suggestions. I will use all of them. Thanks!

Learning to move forward

Post by Learning to move forward » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello, I go through the same thing as you do. Sometimes I think I would be better off dead. Sometimes I think that death would not be as painful as what I am feeling. I get into that self pity whoa is me mode and its so difficult to get out of. Then I just stay in the bed channel surfing. Comedy helps, so does finding a reason to move your body around and get some exercise. Go out and take a walk. Sometimes just walk around the house and see if there is some little thing you could do to brighten up your surroundings. Clean up. Do laundry. Talk to somebody. Do something to get out of your head. Just some small accomplishment will stop that downward spiral.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Very good ideas, Learning to move forward! :) Thanks for sharing! Paislee