Be careful of how you talk to your doctor !

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
TwstdStitch

Post by TwstdStitch » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Last week I had an appointment with my family doctor. This was one week after she added Wellbutrin to my daily dose of Prozac. We were discussing whether I felt any better...if I had any thoughts of hurting myself, etc. I mistakenly said, "Sometimes I feel it would be better if I didn't wake up in the morning." She expressed concern, of course, and after a little more talking suggested a hospital stay. She told me I was suffering from exhaustion as well as depression and the stay would provide me some rest and she'd arrange for counseling. My depression obviously has fried my brain cells..because I agreed, not thinking AT ALL. I arrived at the hospital and was checked in quickly...should have been my first red flag ! I was in such a fog I honestly didn't realize I was being admitted to the psych ward. When it sunk it I could NOT stop crying, which made them think I was severely depressed. I told them it was all a mistake and that I was checking myself out and going home. Doesn't work that way it seems. I was told the doors were locked, I'd have to wait until I saw the doctor the following morning to see what he wanted to do for me. The worst thing was, they didn't have any of my meds ordered...so I got nothing. I have MS as well as severe degenerative arthritis of the spine. What a nightmare !! I started going through withdrawal during the night...still crying because I was scared to death. THey had taken away everything I had brought with me..including my shoes!! They gave me my clothes back...but had cut off the ties at the front of the waist band. I wasn't even allowed to use the toothache gel I had with me. I had a small magazine in my handbag...they told me I could have it to read, but they'd have to take the staples out first!!! Finally at 11:00 a.m. I was taken to the doctor who decided.........are you ready??? I DIDN'T BELONG ON THE PSYCH FLOOR !!!! He told me what I already knew....I was tired, depressed, frustrated and worried. He told me to give the Wellbutrin more time to work. I wanted to smack someone !!! I'm not sure if it was meant to happen or not, it was certainly a wake up call for me. I saw people who were on suicide watch...drugged into zombies....withdrawing from drugs. Maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought I was?? I came home exhausted and slept for 24 hours. Be careful of your wording when you talk to your doctor and pay attention to EVERYTHING they want to do for you. I was such an idiot. And for anyone who has spent any length of time in a psychiatric ward...God Bless you for your strength.

Jean
Jean
In a very dark hole somewhere in PA
"Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut"

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:05 am

Jean, thanks for sharing your story. How scary that must have been for you. I couldn't even imagine!! I would have cried the whole time also!! I'm glad you weren't in there for longer!! that is a good example though in - becareful what you say!!

Good luck to you!!
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

USMC Mom

Post by USMC Mom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:59 am

This week my shrink asked me if I thought that I would benefit from a 'outpatient program'.
That scared the crap out of me... I need to get better, so that I don't end up in some psych ward...
Talk about a motivator!!!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks for sharing Jean. That would be awful to be without your meds, on the flip side if you were suicidal you were in a "safe place". ;o)