SAD (seasonal affective disorder)HELP!!

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
CG822

Post by CG822 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:34 pm

I feel like it gets me worse every year! Sad, lonely, no one to "be with" for the holidays!

Ahhh, How do I get through?! I do have my regular meds I take for my anx/dep, but they don't help me with my SADs!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I wish the absolute best for everyone. Be good to yourself, you deserve it!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm an expert on SAD! :p The way I combat it and this was even before I ended up with a deep depression, is to walk at least an hour a day, preferably out in the sunshine.

Next best thing is to sit near a window and read a good book, or do something you enjoy while letting the sunshine reach your eyes, or reflected light if possible.

Then if you can't do that, if the sky is gray, then see if you can get a full spectrum lightbulb. I started out with DR OTT lamps. I have a few, and I sit under them to read or sew or whatever else interest you, so that you get at least 15 minutes of light into your eyes.

Eat foods such as turkey, almonds, fish oil, Evening of Primrose capsules, beans, tuna fish, whole grain breads, and bananas.
Stay away from caffeine, white flour and white sugar the best you can.

Also take a B-complex vitamin, especially B-12 and plenty of water. I also drink 1% milk instead of other liquids. It is good for the bones and teeth, has protein and not much fat and helps curb eating too many sweets. I hope this helps. :) Paislee

FrvrNumb

Post by FrvrNumb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 am

Hi CG822, I'm sorry you feel so lonely, especially during this time of year! I remember years ago, right after a divorce, I felt very much the same. I refused to allow myself to be alone, so I went to the local homeless shelter and thought I'd volunteer to serve food. They had so many helpers already they turned me away! I was crushed! I've since then, found it quite humorous! Trust me, you'll get through it! And if you don't want to be alone, than don't be. There are so many options, if you plan more ahead than I do, the above option might work for you. Or find a friend...i know you have atleast 1!...and invite yourself to their house. It might be kind of embarrassing to do that, but it might be better than staying home alone...that would make any one sad. Growing up, we always had "extended" family members joining us. You probably have a lot of friends that would love to have you! So muster up the strength to make it happen, you know you'll be happy you did! Make the decision that gets you the results you wanted when you purchased this program! Merry Christmas!

SoWhatif

Post by SoWhatif » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:37 pm

A small aquarium or fountain that pumps flowing water, the trickleing sound of running water can have very good background soothing effects while stuck in the doom and gloom.

I also have a wallpapper murial that is a picture the same as if i was standing in the woods, it covers the entire wall.

James Deckard

Post by James Deckard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Like Paislee said, Exercise at least an hour a day (nothing to hard) and take B-Complex. I did this after my doctor sugested it and I feel 110 percent better. My doctor said that I was not getting enough sunlight or energy. It helps, trust me. Were all in this together. When all else fails, you have a family right here to talk with.

hillbilly ma

Post by hillbilly ma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:51 am

:) Hi CG822
Every body has given you all good advice, I agree with all of them But most of all on James post . IT has helped me for the past 2 years . I have tried " Emergen -C" and it help me. They is a lot of flavors to choose for the store.My husband I like Ruby lemon Honey. It has lots of vitamin B's and vitamin C. I hope you Find some thing that will help you .Merry Christmas
hillbilly ma

Keeping the Faith

Post by Keeping the Faith » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 am

I have been making sure I get out and walk...even just STARE out the window. Let you eyes stretch and soak in some light. I just realized that my two majore anxiety/depression bouts have been this time of year and I HATE coming to work in the dark and leaving in the dark!

I will also get in my car and drive, just to be in light.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:21 pm

That's great, Keeping the Faith :)