Severe Fatique... Do you ever feel like you can't stay awake?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Sandina

Post by Sandina » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:50 am

Is this depression? It hit me out of nowhere.

I was driving home yesterday and I was fine. I heard a song that reminded me of my father who passed away, and I started crying. That's not abnormal for me, but I didn't stop, and even when I got home I just felt hopeless.

I have had anxiety for several years and I have only once or twice felt like I was depressed. This morning when I woke up I thought maybe it'd be gone but it wasn't. I was so exhausted I could hardly make it to work. I almost fell asleep in the car, and when I got to the parking garage I slept for 15 minutes before trudging into the office.

I had a meeting this morning and I had to keep shifting around just to stay awake. Even now at my desk it's a challenge.

I know how to handle anxiety since I've dealt with it so much, but not this. Does depression make you so tired you're unable to stay awake, even after a good night's sleep?

I'm freaking out a little. I've been feeling GREAT for over two years now, and then this hits me! Help!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:07 pm

I am new to this board and with issues of depression and general anxiety I can really relate to this post.
The first thing I can recommend is a disciplined sleep schedule. I posted on another thread how I was able to sucessfully use a vitamin called Melatonin. I'd also stress a scheduled bedtime and lots of exercise!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 pm

I, too, have experienced the sleepiness and fatigue. I think it's an emotional fatigue for me most of the time. It doesn't matter how well or how much I have slept. What seems to affect it is my feelings of hopelessness,or guilt. I think I get tired of feeling these and just want to stop feeling for a while, sleep is such a relief. I have also noticed it when I haven't wanted to face a difficult situation or I need to make a decision but just don't know what to do, I think my body wants to give me a break and sleep.

Jounaling to get my feelings out and then repeating something like "I'm doing the best I can and it's OK" and then getting involved in something - like talking to someone or riding my horse- helps me.

Sandina, it sounds like you have had a set back, but this will pass and you will feel better, Do what you have learned works for you to take care of yourself and don't give up. "this too shall pass"

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 pm

THIS SOUNDS SO MUUCH LIKE ME. I KEEP THINKING I HAVE TO TRY HARDER ON THE PROGRAM, BUT I FEEL SO WORN OUT, I CANT CONCENTRATE MOST OF THE TIME WHEN I NEED TO FOR ME ANYWAY.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Are you on any medication? This can effect your state of alertness. Depression can definitely affect you. Usually, on the weekends, I like to sleep a lot. I have been in the routine, lately, of coming home after work and sleeping until nighttime. I think depression has something to do with it. Not sure about your case. Sometimes we just get tired, you know. Don't worry about it unless it becomes serious. Usually, you will know if you are depressed. Hoplessness, lack of motivation, and feelings of worthlessness are some of the symptoms. Trust me, you will know. Just don't fret over it. Take it one day at a time.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:41 pm

It sounds like what happened with me last month. My friend drowned on fourth of July weekend while she was on vacation with her family. Ever since the funeral, I had been sleeping a lot! I know from past experiences that's one of my depression symptoms. It wasn't till a month later when I was getting panicky real easy and only able to sleep during the day or becoming sleepy when I'm not supposed to be that my fiancé said I'd been acting weird and asked me what was going on. I said I didn't know but that I'd been obsessing about death lately. He said it was weird there wasn't a trigger this time (there usually is). Then he realized I'd been acting that way since the funeral and I burst into tears. I found I had to have a panic attack and figure out why I was so scared. Turns out I was afraid I would be alone if he died. Who would take care of me? He helped me feel better about it and, after feeling wiped from the panic attack, I've been doing better.

Maybe you should journal about why you're so depressed. Or talk to someone safe. You know the trigger, but what fear or feelings did it trigger? Mine was a fear of my fiancé dying. I didn't know that was it for over a month. Talk it out. Find your trigger and run with it. What's really bothering you?