Relapse prevention

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Tehkummah

Post by Tehkummah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:34 am

I had postpartum depression 14 years ago. This July I suffered a series of "losses" including my job of 10 years, and subsequently had a relapse of my depression. As I get feeling better, I am looking ahead and wondering how to best strengthen myself against future relapses. Any advice or experiences?

KKross

Post by KKross » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:35 am

I had a relapse this summer and I was thinking about the same thing. I realized I had to keep up with the program even when I am feeling well. (Lessons 13 and 14 are particularly important for me personally.) One of the reasons that I had a relapse was that I fell back into old patterns, such as people pleasing, overcommiting myself, and not keeping a proper balance between work and my social life.

I also strongly encourage you to keep up a regualr exercise program, even if that si just going for a walk. I don't see this is as a luxury, but as a necessity.

Listening to the tapes, and reminding myself of certain ideas, such as that this will pass, and I will get better, a bad morning doesn't mean a bad day, and a person can always do (at least) a little more than they think they can.

Good luck!

I would also suggest keeping up a regular exercise program

KKross

Post by KKross » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 am

Oops! Forgot to erase that last sentence1

starfish369

Post by starfish369 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks for the great reminders, KKross. Checking in on this board is a good strategy to help stay on track, get support, and find good ideas to change your mental state. The combination of listening to the relaxation tape, meditation, regular exercise such as walking or restorative yoga, and a nice bath with some lovely essential oils helps lift me out of the dumps too. Take care!

vikela

Post by vikela » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 am

Some tips for relapse prevention........
* Stress
* Dealing with the underlying issues in therapy
* Becoming overwhelmed by feelings and emotions
* Death of a family member, friend, etc.
* Marital and family problems
* People’s reactions to changes you are making
in your life.
* Fear of change and/or living without the
eating disorder.

alta

Post by alta » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 am

I have not did the program since april 2009.now back where I started can't seem to get motivated to pick up where left off.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 am

These are great tips for prevention, thanks. I'm waiting for my CD's to come.

bob p

Post by bob p » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:37 pm

i have had my share of depression caused by anxiety relapses and i know how hard it is when you are in that scary state. the one thing to do is keep plugging away. find that little bit of energy to get on that treadmill and make it a habit and know that the good feelings are not going to come instantaneously but they will come. never give up. we are all here for you through good times and bad. i also have had alot of success by really getting into my job as a verizon field tech. i would try not to take any shortcuts (which sill happens now and then) and eventually i would be so proud of my work ethic and quality of my work ( i get them both from my stepfather and father in law (god rest his soul))that it made me feel great. good luck

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 am

Bob P--I like how you stated to use that little bit of energy to get on the treadmill. You did mean that literally, right? Right now I will have to drive myself to the health club to use a treadmill. It isn't too far, just overcoming right now the cold weather and snowy roads. If the weather was nice I wouldn't need a treadmill because I could just go walking outside. It seems that what will help the most is harder to do.

But I know that if I just walk around my house and just start moving I will find that to be helpful. Sometimes, just getting dressed seems hard right now. I think it is partly due to the anti-depressants I'm taking that I don't like. I am trying to wean myself off of them and hopefully w/ activity and eating the right foods. I won't need them anymore.