Lack of Self Motivation

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 am

I too struggle with lack of motivation. I'm on session 2 and I've been avoiding the relaxation cd since last week just because I couldn't motivate. But different feedback I've gotten from these post has helped. And I had to ask myself "how sick are you feeling this way and to what extreme do I want to go to feel better" I want more than anything to be able to snap my fingers and know I will always feel great but I know that's not going to happen. Heather24 & Sue1 don't give up. You too must want to feel better! The post really has helped me a lot! Hope to hear more from you all and good luck!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:34 am

wow.. I can definatley relate. I use to be a fitness model, and I LOVED to work out.. My stress and physical fitness was in great condition.. After I went through a very tragic marriage. I My self-esteem took a huge downhill turn. I have been suffering with my depression and anxiety since dec 05. I feel hopeful about this program and I really am dedicating my full self to this program. I appreaciate and feedback or advice. I noted earlier that this is only my second week, but I am proud to say I went to the gym this morning and actually made it to work today!! WOW :)

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Since I finished lesson 2 I haven't had the energy to do anything else. I'm having difficulty getting a good nights sleep. So I'm not functioning well during the day. I'm on a new med but not sure if it's any good for me.
I'm back to hiding out at home. Any advice is appreciated.

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:10 am

juls88-good for you making it to the gym! That is one area (excercising) I really would like to begin working into my day. I have gained so much weight in the past several months. It seems all I was doing was working, eating, and sleeping. Since I started the program I do feel a sense of "peace" so hopefully soon I will motivate up to some excercising :)

MartiSue- Though I seem to complain a lot about my job there are days I'm very grateful for it. For no other reason than it gives me a purpose and reason to get out of the house. If it weren't for that some days I probably wouldn't even get out of my jammies. Are you in a position to maybe get even a part time job to kinda force you to leave the house?

Best of luck to both of you.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 am

OMG! I have exactly the same thing! Work is fine I usually excel and get accolades but evenings I stare at the TV, weekends I sleep and watch TV all day. I think of things I could do, want to do but I feel so overwhelmed by it all. I think if I'm doing it for a reason, for someone else I'm motivated but if it's just for me I can't be bothered it doesn't matter. I need a sense of purpose

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 am

This is my area. I'm on session 2. I got the program because I went to the Dr. told him I'm having trouble getting out of bed now for the last 8 months, thought maybe my thyroid or some medical reason might be causing it. He tells me it's my depression and I need to exercise to help. But he missed the whole point! I'm sleeping somuch that I can't get out of bed, I recognize the fact exercise helps, but with this depression my dreams are more interesting than my life. It takes me awhile to get up to go to work, I like to work(I'm a nurse) because it's interesting and active. I get home and plump. I'm down and out. I do live by myself. I'm hoping this will help me. If anyone has any idea how to motivate myself I sure appreciate it. I can yak at myself all I want to get moving, but I go no where.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 am

Hi tlee...
Maybe you need a workout buddy- that helped me alot when I need motivation. If you know that someone else is dependent on you or waiting for you to join them, it's hard to blow off. A big problem that I am having is that I quit the expensive gym memberships to excercise within the home. Right now I am trying to stay motivated by focusing on the smaller clothes I want to fit into again...... It's a work in progress! Do they have any sort of fitness program through your work? Or maybe during breaks you could just walk laps around your office and take in some fresh air- that helps! I wish you luck!

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:18 am

I feel the same way all the time, everyday. I'm always lacking energy and motivation and I AM 19 YRS OLD!!!!!!!!! what is that? i feel horrible cause i miss getting out and doing things but i just feel so tired and unmotivated :(

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 am

I've had the same issue--no motivation for years. And it fluctuates. At times I'm more active, when things get stressful, less active. The magic cure for me is a dog. They always depend on you so you need to take them for a walk and that gets you moving. They need attention, which is soothing and they're so uplifting for me.
I think everyone has something like that. Some things we just love like hobbies, certain people or topics. I say stick to those and get involved in that and go from there. It's easy to be motivated if you like a task or topic or person. It's so much harder when you hate it.

minna

Re: Lack of Self Motivation

Post by minna » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Self motivationcan inspire you to keep going, to maintain a level of commitment, and to stay focused on what you want to achieve. Without motivation the process stops, no progress is made and your plans and dreams can lose momentum. If you are discouraged in difficult times, you will be a loser before any battle begins. You can learn how to motivate yourself.