Lack of Self Motivation

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 am

I feel pretty good during the week when I have a schedule and obligations (work, etc.) but on the weekends when I have to motivate myself, it takes everything I've got to get out of bed and STAY out of bed. I feel SO tired (even though I've slept 12+ hours) and just don't feel like doing anything.

This is kind of a new discovery for me. I've known I have anxiety for years but it never really dawned on me that I have depression too.

I miss the feeling of excitement.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:49 am

Hi:
I have the same problem, when you have anxiety for long time it becomes depression. Are you in any medication? I am taking Wellbutrim 300 Xl+ 36mg concerta to feel more energize and alert.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 am

I know how you feel. I get sooo frustrated everyday because I have no motivation. Like you I sleep for hours upon hours and still feel tired. I'm trying not to be hard on myself but I just don't seem to get much done at home. I'm only on session 3 or the program so I need to give myself more time. Keep your chin up an do the same. God Bless and Happy New Year!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:58 am

Originally posted by BellaLety:
Are you in any medication?
I've been on Celexa for almost 7 years. Currently I take 50mg every day. From what I understand Celexa is actually an anti-depressant but also works for anxiety. It worked for me for a long time but doesn't seem like it works for either condition anymore.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:34 am

Hey there,
Maybe they need to up your dosage if thats possible. I am like you though i have a hard time getting motivated to get anything done(especially my housework), Its not laziness its just pure unmotivated. I hope that you get some more energy soon and that this tape does some good for you. You are right you need more time, it took years to get yourself in the shape that we are in and its just going to take time to get ourselves out of it! Good luck to you!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:08 am

Originally posted by rmc0425:
Maybe they need to up your dosage if thats possible.
Well, I think they could but I really just don't want to go there unless it's absolutely 100% necessary.

7 years ago, I started at 10mg.
1 year later, I went up to 20mg.
2 years later, I went up to 30mg
2 years later, I went up to 40mg.
2 years later (2.5 months ago) I went up to 50mg.

My ultimate goal is to get off of meds and be ok. I just need to accept that it won't be an easy process and just DO it instead of putting it off out of fear.

maggiep

Post by maggiep » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:15 am

Depression is draining on our brain and our body. When I started this program, I actually was contemplating getting a new Rx for my reading glasses. My eyes were even tired of looking. It may sound funny, but it is true. There is no quick fix or fast recovery. In my case, I had to drag myself along each day. I had to make myself put the CD into the CD slot. I would often sit for an hour staring at the guidebook before I could get up the energy to open it. And then, my eyes were too tired to read. But I would read. It was all worth the efforts and hard work. I do encourage you to keep pushing forward. You will be better. And Session Five is very good here, too. I added a lot of "brain food" into my diet. Berries, walnuts, avocados, salmon, spinach, and many more things. Caffeine is a real big no. It has to go. I wish you a Happy New Year, and I wish you a return of your excitement feelings. Kind regards.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:52 am

I sure can identify with your description. I am thankful for your encouragement. Have a blessed New Year and I will try harder.
Martisue

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:49 am

I also have no motivation. I don't take anything for my depression any more the side effects just made me worse.

But I don't have a job for medical reasons but I can't seem to motivate myself at all. I stay up online till 2am so I sleep till 11am. Then I get on the computer again and I eat sometimes. By noon I am so sluggish feeling I don't feel like doing anything, any tips on what I can do???

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 am

I'm new to this program but have been on every anti- depressant out there, hospital, therapy, neurofeedback etc. I still feel like crap. So I got this program and since I have a very hard time with self motivation it is difficult for me to get going on it. I understand.
Sue