Lack of Self Motivation

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
twthoma40

Re: Lack of Self Motivation

Post by twthoma40 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:11 pm

I think this should be a topic at the top of the blogs. Self Motivation has got to be the toughest part of starting the program, any program and sticking with it. I have experienced general anxiety disorder for years, with very acute anxiety occurring every four or five years. This year, currently I am experiencing the worse yet. MY self Motivation was good the first few months, but now in July I have a hard time getting out of bed. I am using the books and CDs to help get me motivated. I hope they work. Unfortunately I am a single person that lives very far from family and have a very small and distant support group. I remember my family was very instrumental in helping get through the worse times during my last episode, and now I am having to do it without them because they are too far away. I would enjoy hearing form anyone that had to truly Self Motivate and found some success. Looking forward to any responses.

noble

Post by noble » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi guys,

I started the program a while back and was truly going great guns and feeling so very much better that I had begun to do things that I had not done for a very long time. Meeting my sister-in-law for lunch was one. I was not looking forward to it but yet I truly think she is a wonderful person. I made myself go and next time we meet, I will be actually looking forward to it. When Lucinda says that we have to do things to get better we have to do it. I have a wonderful, patient husband and find myself trying really harder than I might if I lived alone. Motivation comes in many forms. Sometimes it is our family, friends, or pets. I do not have a pet but I understand that it is a huge help with depression and lack of self motivation. They say one can meet a lot of nice people walking the dog.

Anyway, I had to go to take care of my mother-in-law and that caused me to stop the program. I was so depressed over her health, being out of my comfort zone, and it was doubly hard because I had to be around people that I had not been around for a very long time. Then, when I did get to come home, I was so keyed up about a return trip that I lost another whole week stressing over that! Yesterday, i found out that we did not have to go back right away. I am angry that they did not even tell us this info because it had really caused a lot of stress for me. Today, I began where I had left off from the program and it is Lesson 7. After that lesson I intend to be assertive enough to speak out about being forgotten.

missgsr

Post by missgsr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm down from 60mg/day of Celexa to 10 mg/day and I haven't stayed in bed all day in months. :)