Depression can be cured.

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
pecos

Post by pecos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:21 am

Session Fourteen homework has some very good information to remember if you were on this program primarily because of DEPRESSION.
I want to add a new perspective on depression. These are my realities, and my terminology, and anyone who disagrees, that is good. Understand that this is not science. This is my experience while working through my depression here. Depression is a condition. Grief is an emotion. When my parents both died in less than a year, I experienced such overwhelming grief, I could not function. The grief became the largest stress in my days. That stress exacerbated a long term slow simmering depression, which I’d had for many years. Grief is not something you cure, anymore than you cure happiness, or unhappiness. But depression can be cured. This program provides a very clever journey for us to embark upon; and to help us along this journey we have several guides. This online community is a branch of this guide. What I found, and have proof of because of my journals and homework results, is that my depression grew out of NEGATIVE THINKING. I don’t know where it took off, or when it started. But my relationships always failed because I told myself lies about my own self worth, my own value (or lack of same) within each relationship. When you stop the negative self talk, all the healthy aspects of your thinking fall into place. And when you have trouble during this program (or after you graduate) it is because your thinking is returning to old familiar dysfunctional nonsense. Catch it when it happens. A good exercise is to get out your journal and start writing. Just write down what you are telling yourself. At the end of each day, ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING YOURSELF INTO.

Unless your thoughts are not within your own control (in that event, do see a doctor and consider medication) the tools here will help you cure yourself of ever being lost in depression. You may get depressed again, but you won’t be lost there, and you will be able to walk yourself out.

monty'smom

Post by monty'smom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 am

Thankyou pecos for all the inspiration and wisdom you put in this post.

So well spoken and so true!!

God Bless,
BELIEVE YOU CAN CONQUER ANYTHING~ AND YOU WILL !! I DID IT, YES !!!!!

Want2FeelGoodAgain

Post by Want2FeelGoodAgain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:57 am

Personally I believe my depression grew out of my anxiety, and as I began to BELIEVE I'd be anxious and nauseas all my life, I began to convince myself, and that does sound like a very depressing thing, so it became a depressing thing. Once I got a handle on my anxiety, the depression lifted a bit on its own because of the self worth I got back, and it was very empowering to not feel so helpless. We can all do it, one way or another, if we can convince ourselves we are dying during an anxiety attack, we can convince ourselves we are not :)
One day at a time is the fastest we can go......

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 am

I whole heartedly agree with this. I've seen the proof in myself. I can now immediately see when an old thought comes up and what it does to me. When I look over my journal from months ago I can now say "No wonder I was feeling that way, look at what I believed about myself from what I was telling myself!" The negative self talk was pure nonsense and not even true. Not to say I have no faults lol- but I can see things now in myself I may want to change without it effecting my self worth. I believe this is the key for me. Allowing myself to acknowledge that I may have some negative traits, without allowing it to effect my self worth and self esteem.

TracyH

Post by TracyH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:50 am

Just wanting to extend my thanks to Pecos for offering up such an inspirational & motivating post and to all of you who have confirmed and/or added to the insight of overcoming! Hugs to you all...thanks for being here!

Nicholene

Post by Nicholene » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

"You may get depressed again, but you won’t be lost there, and you will be able to walk yourself out."

I love the way you put this Pecos, This quote is a keeper. Thanks for all your inspiring posts.

susie wrenn

Post by susie wrenn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 am

THANK YOU PECOS!
I'm starting to believe!!!

Elizabeth J.

Post by Elizabeth J. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 am

YEAH PECOS! Thanks for that good word! I believe every bit of it>
Thanks again,
Elizabeth J.

SCDon

Post by SCDon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Truly well written and honest. I had a hard day and night and I keep having all these negative thoughts. It's like beating myself is supposed to accomplish something? All it does is make me feel worse.
Thanks for the good words Pecos. This comes at an opportune time for me. Thank you again.

pipermarie66

Post by pipermarie66 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Thank you Pecos for your words of hope. I am just finishing session 2 and so I am still new and just learning the way.