Caring Too Much About What Other People Think Of Me

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:23 am

Others around us are so wrapped up n their feelings and needs, they do not see us. Even our parents were so busy getting their needs met, they never saw ours. They never heard us when we tried to tell them. There are a very precious few (mainly people like us) that do take the time. And the others home in on us and suck us emotionally dry.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am

GRanny
In your heart you are a very beautiful person. Just think of it as their loss. When you try to relate to family members and they don't respond in love....we can choose to humble ourselves and walk on and love life anyway. It is not our ressolve to change ther attitude just our own. I choose love with peace and a calm body. How about you? I have a sister thats 3 hours away and she has volunteered to allow me to stay 1 hour to visit her for Christmas. I have done absolutely nothing accept to be a sweet loving sister,

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 am

I'm not feeling very well today, So i decided to take off from work today. But then I think what if my mom gets mad at me? What if I get fired? I always told myself i can pick up an extra day next week to make up for it, but the fear of what my mom thinks of me is making me feel anxious. Any advice to cope? thanks...

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 am

Noelle,
It is hard to get through the day when we are the way we are. I am also caught up in what people think, or approve of me, the way I look, act, talk, or thinge I do. What I'm about to say is hard to hear and do, but FORGET IT! Worry about what you think of you and your actions. If you have a good reason for not going to work, then that is that. You answer to yourself and are responsible to yourself, nobody else. Nobody is perfect....including you. You can only do what you can do. You did what you did. Stop feeling guilty. If it bothers you, then go the extra day next week. Think if this is important enough to spend time on worrying about. Go easy on yourself and stick by your decision no matter what people around you think or feel. Enjoy your day off, or sit and relax. Tommorrow will be better if you do that instead of beating yourself up. We all need a break sometimes. Enjoy yours.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:05 pm

All your advice does make sense. Maybe I should let it go and say, "Okay I wasn't perfect today but I will learn from it. I will change my diet, think more positively, get back on track and this will change my mood to succeed next time. It is possible others at work will get mad at me, but who cares what they think? I will make an effort to do better next time. We all have our days." Thanks for your advice :)
Last edited by ~Noelle~ on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”