Caring Too Much About What Other People Think Of Me

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Miami Mama

Post by Miami Mama » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:15 pm

I don't know if I'm posting this is the right section, but I really need help with not caring so much about what others think of me. I dwell on this way too much. Did so and so think this was the right thing to do? Do those people like me? Why did he/she seem so aloof today? Is it something I did? etc..... I really don't know how to let go of this. I also find myself getting really angry about past events where my feelings were hurt and friends/family did not behave the way they should have. It angers me because I'm so careul to be nice and a friend to others. Then, when the kindness is not returned, I feel wounded.
How can I stop placing so much value in what others say and do?

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:36 pm

`

Hello, Miami Mama. :)

LOL! How much you wanna bet that just about everyone in this
Forum feels the same way as you? I know I sure do.

Hon, I am always thinking someone is watching me, and I
am constantly sucking my gut in, standing in a cool pose, fixing
my hair, wiping my mouth in case there's something on it.

Yes, I am VERY self-conscious!

Always working on my weight, never going to the stores with
sandals on for fear that someone will see my toes and say "ewwww!"

Yes, we all have our hang-ups. *Sigh :?

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi Miami...I would have to say you're preaching to the choir on this one. I don't know that there's an easy answer for you. I'm in my 40's and have carried that around all of my life. Caring what others think (to a degree) is certainly not a bad thing...but when it begins to handicap us, it gets bad. Probably the same concept as stress...A little is motivating...too much is debilitating. I think as your self esteem improves, the caring what others think will taper off. (At least I'm hoping it works for me). Anyway, you're not alone... just remember that your self worth isn't tied to whatever everyone else thinks...it's what YOU think... AND..the fact that you're dealing with your stress head on in this program, you're in better shape than you think... chin up.. :-)
Brian (Orlando)

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:30 am

Ah yes...I know that one all too well!

We are very sensitive and natural people pleasers. We want to have friends, just like anyone else.

My issues stemed from not having a good self esteem, hence lacking the self confidence, hence questioning if I was good enough, funny enough, why didn't I get invited out to lunch...all these thoughts racing around, making me feel inadequate, less of a person, not important, which leads further down the negative path.

You need to start to realize that you ARE a worhty person that deserves love, friends, happiness. You need to tell yourself that you are a great person with lots to offer others, that you are capable of making intelligent choices and are very capable of achieving your dreams. Like Brian said,
it's what YOU think
That is KEY here. WHen you start to think it, you will beleive it and start to live it. It is like an avalanche, but in a very good way. Try it!

Warm wishes, LizB
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:39 am

Thank you for your kind response John, Brian & Liz. It helps to know that I am not alone in this. Sometimes, when I'm at home, I have too much time to think----even when I'm in the midst of heavy duty cleaning!
I know part of my issue has to do with my family dynamics. Don't get me wrong, my parents love me very much and have always been loving parents, but they have had too much of a say in my life. I rebel and shrug things off in front of them, but what they say still affects me deeply. Also, I feel a major lack of compatibility with friends from my childhood (one in particlar() who still wishes to be a part of my life, and I don't want her to be. My parents attend all her parties and child's events (I don't because I had a rift with her husband's family a while back---truly crass people---but regardless of that I don't like this friend). My parents are appalled that I want to break ties with her and I in turn am hurt that they continue to associate with her knowing full well that I have a lot of resentment towards her for past events. I feel my parents are being disloyal to me.
I don't tell this "friend" to bug off because I don't want to show her that she gets to me. I think she knows deep dpwn inside, but either to bug me or because she's clueless, she insists on calling me every two weeks. I speak to her and am polite for 5-10 minutes and that's it. I haven't inititated a call to her in over two years.
Wow! I wrote a lot. I guess I needed to vent more than I thought.

desiderada

Post by desiderada » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:55 am

Miami Mamma,
There are TWO excellant books i would love to recommend to you. "Approval Addiction" by Joyce Meyer and Boundaries cant remember who thats by, but both are excellant for helping you overcome the approval thing. I know they helped me alot. And mamma, LIKE yourself FIRST!!! I was like you, and it tore me up for years, thing is i became what everyone else wanted me to be almost to the point i didnt know who i was anymore. You dont want that. Dont be a doormat, your worthy, your valuable. STart thinking that way!! Not everyone is going to like everybody, and you know what? SO WHAT!! You will find precious friends who love you for who you are, and thats all they require. Take care :)Nelly

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 am

Nelly,

I am glad you responded! I typed this all out and poof again, my message disappeared into cyberland.

Like Nelly, I too conformed to what everyone else wanted me to be. Well, I never was the person I needed to be because I never had the opportunity to explore that as I was too busy pleasing everyone else, doing things to please others. Well, it is my turn.

You cannot take personally that your parents what to be friends with your former friend. You cannot control that. Either you will let it eat away at you and it will fester inside...or you can just let it be. I know it is so hard just to let it be, especially when you feel you have been wronged, crossed, used, whatever the case may be. But you are keeping the resentment alive inside you. Once you let it go, you will be free of it. You do not have to be friends with anyone you chose not to be, you chose your own friends, just as your parents do theirs regardless of what one may think. I know, I would at one time feel betrayed, but maybe once you let go, maybe your parents will see that their relationship with this person does not bother you and may drop it? Maybe they are just hoping to keep a long time family friendship together and not hurt you intentionally.

We are here for you! Warm wishes, LizB

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:21 am

Hi Miami Mama,

You could well have been describing myself just a few months ago--I was always worried that I was upsetting people or that someone didn't like me because of something (often a little thing) I did. In fact, since I haven't yet finished Lucinda's program, I still find myself struggling with this at times, but it is no where where it used to be.

How did I improve? Journaling and countering my negative thoughts and insecurites helped a lot. If I fear someone took something I said the wrong way, I'd write down the different other ways they could have taken it as well. I'd often realize that I take myself way too seriously.

Another thing I tell myself is that if someone is going to get mad at me for a little thing--they aren't worth being my friend in the first place.

I recently had an experience with a new friend who got mad at me for cancelling on her at the last minute because I realized I couldn't wait 3 hours to have dinner (it was already 5pm). She got very upset with me, even canceled her RSVP to a cocktail party I was holding, and in response the old me kicked in and I apologized to her profusely and berated myself for being such an awful friend.

But then I stepped back. I realized that i had done nothing wrong, and that she had reacted in a way that was horribly disproportional to what I had done. Once I realized that, I told her so (in very polite terms) and was prepared to distance myself from her.

In the end, my assertiveness paid off, we're still friends and I think she respects me a little more for not bowing to her temper tantrum.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:53 am

There`s a great book, "MindOS" which would help you to overcome that ( it helped me ). You can buy it or dowload it somewhere, look for it in google.

But in short words - imagine your selfesteem as a tank with positive energy. You can fill it with overcoming your insecurities, courageous decisions, positive sefltalk etc, but if you have a hole in it - this energy is going to flow.

You know, there`s a boundary between you and the world, and everything which is inside it - inside you, is under your control. And everything out - is out of your control. And other people`s opinion are definitely outside it. So if you care so much and "take it to yourself" is like you didn`t see the boundary between you and the world in this place. This is that hole, and everybody can grab your selfesteem and take it from your tank through that hole.

I say in those situations "This is only that person`s opinion. I am adult person, and I know who I am. It`s not going to affect me."

But you know, this is when somebody say something. But most freqently we don`t even need other people`s verbalized opinions. We beat ourselves, or worry about imagined things. I had a lot of "AHA!s" during this program and one of them was, "People judge me all the time, and think something about me all the time, but they VERY VERY RARELY say that, and if they do, thay are RARELY honest. So, if I FEEL judged - it`s most sure JUST ME JUDGING MYSELF" And that works for me, big time.

That doesn`t mean that you should avoid getting some "feedback" from people around. But don`t make it personal, this is only about something specific, that you have done.( And you have right to agree or disagree. ) You`re still the same person. Sometimes people will say "you`re bad person" or whatever else. Just shrug it off, they can say something about what you`ve done, but when you`re adult it`s time to decide by yourself, who you are, and like yourself whatever people say.

Mat.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:50 pm

I know exactly how you feel. This is where most of my anxiety comes from. I'm so judgmental that I think other people are always judging me. Whenever I walk into a room I feel that all eyes are on me, criticizing me. And I'm bad about caving into people so they'll like me, and if I don't, I feel guilty. I've always been more concerned with how I SHOULD be according to other people, than with how I WANT to be. But now, people's liking me isn't as important to me as having self-respect.

Start trying to do what you want to do, little by little, not so much what other people want. And I've also really liked everybody else's suggestions. I think they'll help me out as well.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”