Should I stay on 4 another week

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
k.rae

Post by k.rae » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:51 am

I've had problems with this session. I have trouble deciding which shoulds are mine and which are society's, etc. I'm having a hard time grasping the concept of not having expectations of others. Not expecting that my boyfriend will clean the house to my expectation, I get. Not expecting the people in control of our economic, environmental policies, etc. to work more for the common good instead of their own interests is what hangs me up. I understand they are not going to do this and that everyone is out for themselves, but I feel like I'm having major expectations that things shouldn't be this way. I'm naturally a very open, honest person and it makes me tired having to constantly guard myself against the world trying to take advantage of me. I don't even feel like I'm making sense here. This session 4 is so confusing to me that I can't even make sense talking about it. I even called the center to talk to someone. It helped a little, but I still don't think I'm getting it.
I'm supposed to start session 5 day after tomorrow. Should I just stay on 4 one more week? I don't know if I can, honestly. This week has been so frustrating, I think I might need some distance from week 4 and come back to it later. What do you think? Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:06 am

Hello Rae, I think you should do whatever you feel will help you more. If you think you need a break from this lesson, then move on, if you feel going through it again might help you understand it more, then try that. I don't know if I had the exact same symptoms as you, however I know I didn;t always feel like I got 100% of everything each week. Even if you move on you can always re-read pages from this lesson or re-listen to the cd lesson. Do what you need to do for you. Don;t feel like if you don't follow the lesson plan to the T you can;t get better, because that is not at all true. Good luck to you.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 am

Hello Rae,

I aggree with DisneyGirl so far as working the program to work with you personaly. We are each different even though we share a lot of common traits and issues. You may need a break from the program for a couple of days or more and it's better to let it go for a bit than let it frustrate you because you are more likely to absorb more, finish it and go on to living the life you really want and deserve.

I have taken a break from session 8 because session 7 wore me out emotionally. I am wanting to succeed at this so will do it slowly and finish it but at my own pace and comfort zone.

relax and just do something else you enjoy for a few days. You may just feel overwhelmed right now and that happens to a lot of us..me included.

keep posting and talking about your feelings so you don't just let them build up inside of you.

Prayers and positive thoughts to you.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks. Just posting the message cleared a few things up and I think I will move on and return to 4 later. I think maybe I'm not ready to absorb the information yet and some distance might do some good.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:51 pm

im on 4 right now and im yrying to get it but its hard i know the first 3 were pretty basic and east to get and made us feel better this one takes alot of mental work . right now im listening to it for the 4th time and after this im done with it im sure some of this stuff is sticking but alot of things i guess dont apply to everyone goodluck we will all get better its just a slow process.
r

EMMAtophobia

Post by EMMAtophobia » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 pm

I know for me, when i am having trouble grasping something, I laid off it and came back later. Sometimes if I mov on to something else, something will spark and then I get it! Dont be hard on yourself. I did 1-4 and there was a lot I didnt get. Before I moved on to 5 I went ahead and reviewed them again and understood a lot better. I also, along with the program, am reading other related materials and positive and inspirational stuff. So when something gets too tough, I back off and read something else for a while and then go back to it. It helps me to clear my head to tackle it again. Dont be hard on yourself. We all probably struggle with this.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”