what to expect?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
CAlfonso

Post by CAlfonso » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 am

Here's a little exercise for some of you who care to participate.

I've started this session yesterday. It's been 3 full weeks since I've started the program and I have changed significantly. At this point, my self confidence and esteem has increased. I feel like I can take on almost anything. I stress almost because today, I was thinking about joining a public speaking program. My fear of socializing and embarrassing myself in front of others started to creep up. Thankfully, my skills from session 3 kicked in and I allowed to feel the anxiety and soothed myself with positive self talk.

I went online and checked out a local Toastmasters club (which is practically down the street and around the corner). There's a weekly meeting every Thurs. I am commited to be guest and take a look. One expectation that I have right now is that I'll be ok, no matter the circumstance.

Would any of you like to list some positive expectations that I may get out of this? I feel like I'm ready for this and that it would be a great opportunity to put my new skills to the test.

I was a very shy shy person and hated to socialize, even amongst my group of friends. I've self diagnosed myself w/ a stuttering/mumbling problem and hated the thought of looking like stumbling idiot when trying to speak to others. This doesn't affect me so much anymore and I thank God and this program for that.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:21 am

That's great! I was with a Toastmasters for a year though I didn't get up and do any long speeches. My experience with Toastmasters was really positive, I hope yours will be too!
Tamara

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:44 pm

You will meet new friends, find freedom in speaking, and be more effective and less effected. smile
I have found that it feels free to talk to others. I would be afraid of what they thought of me. I have noticed that people are more concerned about themselves, not me! so I need not worry what they think of me.
Good luck to you. enjoy!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Well unfortunately, I decided not to come in today as a guest. I had a little too much to drink last night and I paid the price for it today.
One accomplisment that I'd like to mention was that I stayed calm and positive through it all. I understood the reprecussions (sp?) of goin out and drinking up, and I simply floated today. I actually had a pretty good day today, matter of fact. Anyhow, there will be other meetings, and I am still curious to see what Toastmasters has to offer.

Thank you Tamara Tracy and MPeach for your thoughts. Take care you 2!

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”