feeling like a victim

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Tobes

Post by Tobes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:33 am

Hi. I've gone through the first six lessons. I can totally relate to every facet of the program, except for one thing--whenever I hear Lucinda talking about "feeling like a victim," or "I deserve what's coming to me," I cringe. I don't feel like a victim, do I? Sometimes, I get into situations that I hate (ie. taking an apartment that I hate just to be "nice," being in the middle of two people fighting, dating someone I don't really like--again to be nice) and afterwards, I may have a bit of "woe is me" feeling, but is this the same as "feeling like a victim?" I don't think that anyone else is to blame for these messes I get into. I also don't think the world owes me anything. But I do sometimes feel like I manage to get stuck in situations that I have no control over. Once I'm in that mess, I do feel sorry for myself. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm confused about the issue of self-pity and self-victimizing. Can anyone else relate or offer a clearer picture of how they feel regarding this issue?

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Tobes -

Based just on your post, it sounds like you have a pretty good world view and aren't playing the victim. However, it does sound like you are letting yourself get taken advantage of. Session 7 on assertive behavior will probably be of great use for you. I'd pay special attention to that lesson.

Good luck,
Jamie

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”